Spent Thanksgiving with my son

Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Spent Thanksgiving with my son

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share our positive experience with you all. We were invited to the Residential Rehab Thanksgiving feast and spent time with my son for the first time really since he was arrested in May. He looked FABULOUS! The program he is in has 50 male residents and my son is the second youngest one there (21). We all went, my husband, my Mom, and my other two kids.

The people there are wonderful and my son is doing very well. This program is very structured and very strict and my son knows that this is the one shot he has other than going back to Jail for the remainder of his sentence.

He will be able to look for a job after 30 more days and then they assist them with finding sober living.

Just for Today.... I hugged a sober and confident young man who took my breath away.

He is more than the son I remember and it was a great visit.
Thank you all for the support and wisdom on this board.
God Bless
TT
Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Great!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your son is doing well. Just understand that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and the structure and vigilance that he is surrounded by in his current situation he needs to instill in his life as he transitions back to "the real world." The IOP and sober living is not the end of the line. He will need to build a support network of sober friends, likely go to meetings, and actively work a program of recovery for the rest of his days. Be there for him, but realize you cannot do this for him - it's gotta be his sobriety by his choice and on his terms if it is going to last.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to an open NA meeting tonight with husband. I sat next to a girl who got clean when she was 21. She now has four years...and is just beginning to wonder what she should do with her life. Another addict said it took him 1 year just to be able to think halfway straight. They were all miracles to me. It seems to be the drug is always calling them and the sobriety must come first before anything....it seems to be a very difficult thing to stay clean....like they have to want it VERY badly....but oh the gratitude in that room. Just being clean for today....not being in jail or alone or out stealing and feeling miserable about themselves. Whether your son stays clean or not....it is a choice that is within him to make....but I do feel it is extremely difficult for them. Savor today and hope for the best but watch out for expectations.....relapse is rampant on the drug recovery scene. Nothing like seeing the light in their eyes and seeing the real soul of your son. Treasure today. He's clean.....thanks be to God.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too spent thanksgiving with my 21 yo AD, she got her 8 hour pass today. she graduates on tuesday after six months in treatment. its a wonderful feeling when our kids look great and are full of hope! I couldn't be happier for you and your son JJ!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

what a beautiful gift!!

so grateful you had that wonderful opportunity! I pray the healing & wonderful blessings continue!

PINK HUGS,
Rita