Notices

AA - Phone meetings

Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA - Phone meetings

Hi all,

I saw phone meetings being brought up in a thread somewhere on here. Does anyone know about these? Where can I get more information? Who has done one before?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

First I've heard of phone meetings, mwstylee
Hope someone else knows

D
Old 11-24-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I've heard of them, but I have no experience with them. I need to look people in the eyes, smell their breath & feel their hugs....and listen closely.

Have you tried an internet search?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am extremely hesitant to go to an AA meeting because I'm in a certain industry that's very prominent in this city. I also serve on the city parks & rec board, and am the VP of a young professionals group for 100+ professionals in their 20s-30s. My worst fear is seeing someone I know there...alcoholism is an extremely private thing for me.

I know I need the help really badly. I even considered driving to the next city 2-3 hours away to do attend a weekly meeting, just to try something that would actually help me break my drinking habit....besides going cold turkey on my own. That has not been working.

An internet search turned up some weekly phone-ins but they're not explicitly sponsored by AA.org so I assume they're informally organized.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I live in the DC, MD, & VA area. We have over 600 listed meetings weekly.
AA has 12 Traditions, one of which regards Anonymity. I go to save my life, NOT to ever tell you who was at the meeting. If we could stop without help, a stocks & bonds Wall Street salesman & a doctor would never have gotten together to create AA. Alcoholic #3 was a well known attorney....

Try listening to AA speakers (xa-speakers dot com). Call your local AA intergroup office and talk to someone about their experience in AA.

Talk with a doctor as stopping drinking can shock your body.

Find something to help you. I worked the 12 steps like Bill W & Dr Bob, in 2 days; I had 14 + 15 days sober.

AA saved my life. Not one craving since May 16, 2011!

Best Wishes on staying stopped!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My best recommendation is try AA Online Meetings at AAOnline.net--Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet. There is a plenty of meeting and there is good sobriety in every meetings.

Try to going to Face To Face meetings in another city. Maybe, the meeting in the town that is 10 to 15 miles away won't have anybody from your industry and your talk about your problem's with alcohol more open and freer.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. I am in a city large enough that 15 miles away wont' be of much difference. Thanks for the online meeting link - I will explore that. I just want to break out of this cycle because currently, it's 11:30am and I'm on my 6th drink and I just don't think that is normal. I'll try my best not to turn this holiday weekend into a 3-day bender. They always end horribly....the DTs are horrifying and feel like hell. Anyway, I thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

In my very small community, we have doctors, nurses, attorneys, pharmacists, teachers, school administrators, counselors, etc. in our meetings. Just remember that if you see someone in a meeting you know, that person is there for the same reason you are.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
In my very small community, we have doctors, nurses, attorneys, pharmacists, teachers, school administrators, counselors, etc. in our meetings. Just remember that if you see someone in a meeting you know, that person is there for the same reason you are.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Thank you so much for that. Even in my drunken state ,I hope I will find te courage to go to a meeting one of these days. Whatever I am doing isn not working at all.