Notices

30 on Turkey Day!

Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

30 on Turkey Day!

Yup, made to 30 days and it's getting friggin better each and everyday! Had dinner with dad and the fiancé, ate turkey, corned beef and cabbage, etc., etc... Oh yeah, and NO ALCOHOL!!! Wasn't sure what to expect from a sober holiday but dammit if it weren't all that bad! Didn't have to worry about getting pulled over on the 25 mile journey home either! Was still rude and obnoxious but was far more tactful without the liquid stupidifier!!!

Thanks all to the swellest bunch of folks this side of the Zambeze river! Hope everyone had a great and sober holiday, look forward to similar stories from myself and everyone in an additional 30 days right around another somewhat important holiday!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pikkle - Great job on 30 - that's just fantastic!! Here's your Happy Dance
Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ahhh the freedom from alcohol is truly a brilliant feeling.

Being truly "present" for me is sooo important now.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Oh yeah, another totally new thing for me... about to go out and do some recon on the local retail establishments that are having these so called "Black Friday" sales... can't ever remember being either sober enough or not hungover enough to ever engage in such an activity... I know it's all crazy hype but having never attempted it before, I thought I'd check it out, maybe get run over by shopping cart wielding housewives looking to save a few bucks on this minute's trendy toy! Can't wait!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 30 days pikkle

D
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pikkle, that's yet another great thing about being sober - doing these crazy things, because YOU CAN.

I love that my NO's and MAYBE's (because of drinking) are now YES's or MAYBE's because I'm Sober
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days and navigating your first Holiday!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on your first month! Keep moving forward!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, that was uplifting, pikkle. Looks like you're doin' this thing right.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! Funny how quitting seems so terrifying, yet it comes with all these amazing things that you have missing out on for so long.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Well I went out and about for a few hours checking out the various stores and malls that are having their Black Friday sales starting at midnight and wow, the lines... the lines... the lines!!! Even on the radio news station they're talking about 3 mile back-ups on the freeway going into some of the malls!

I'm so glad I'm sober doing all this tooling around because in the past, if I had had the gumption to do so, I'd have been driving around drunk to all these malls and what with the crowds and crazy traffic, I'm sure that would have led to some very bad ordeals!

There was one Walmart who's parking lot was so full, people were parking on the other side of a 6 lane highway and bolting across to get one of those $9 toasters (Darwin award winners to be!) I barely missed hitting a few of them and if I'd have been drunk, I wouldn't have missed, I'm sure!

Funny how insane things really seem to be when you're not so insane yourself!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job, Pikkle! Congrats on the 30 and good luck on the shopping!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 30 days. Awesome.

I always stay away from black friday sales. I have ever gone shopping when drunk and buy stupid frivilous things, things I don't need, more than I need...dumb decisions when drinking. I prefer to stay home and save my money...and work tomorrow...!

Keep the faith.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I'm pretty much a tight ass when it comes to money... more so when I was drinking in a way because I knew if I bought things, even if they were something I really needed, then I would have had less money with which to make purchase of alcohol!

Almost all of my shopping habits revolve around comestibles (that I require or desire) or items for others (gifts, et al... ) I'm not really into having a lot of the material possessions for myself because as we all know, the things you own end up owning you.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days pikkle! Goodwork.

I was thinking about going out and check out those sales tomorrow on black Friday but I think I will sleep in after reading your story..Thanks pikkle..
Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

After action report for Black Friday:

All, anyone thinking of going out, unless you're willing to stand in line at least 3 or 4 hours before a store opens, you will not get the most super duper of deals and more than likely the following will occur: your odds of getting in an accident or a fight over a parking spot will increase drastically, you have a good chance of getting a cold (more so if you're in the northern part of the States) you will be dealing with a lot of obnoxious people that you want to punch a lot, you will definitely be tempted to buy things you don't need just to justify your wasted time, you will stand in more long lines at the check out while store employees yell at and herd you to and fro and at the end of it all you will be more poor.

I actually overheard some people talking to one of the sales guys in a Target store and he said that if you weren't one of the first 30 or 40 people in line, you basically got screwed on the absolute best deals (yet, even I was intrigued by the $300, 46" 1080P LCD HDTV, which was sold out in 5 minutes... but not tempted enough to blow half my day!)

I did however want to witness the mayhem for the first time sober which is why I went to a few of the stores tonight and my goodness, it was all mayhem-y! Very strange rituals we Yanks have. As far as I know, nobody got trampled this year, yet but keep watching the news...

So part 2 of this Black Friday ordeal:

I am staying up all night because there is an ottoman on sale at Art Van for $11 and the first 100 people get a free knife set (great for X-mas re-gifting!) As well, there is an outfit that the misses spotted at Value World which will be half off today. And I may, I do mean may, camp out at the ABC warehouse to see if I can snag a $247 - 40" LCD HDTV for dad's X-mas present (please release toxic air from lungs.)

None of these ridiculous activities (including the aforementioned babble) would have ever been possible if it weren't for sobriety. Just can't wait to get to 60, then 90 days and beyond... the world will be mine!!! You're all invited of course.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your good news! Thirty days is a great milestone. Stay strong and continue to keep us posted.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

That's great! Thanks for posting this good news.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thas great to hear Pikkle69! Such a great overpowering story to those in need to hear the positive outcome of staying sober. Im not American however but us Canadians had our thanksgiving I was over joyed to be there and not be drunk before dinner was ever set on the table. It truly is an amazing feeling for sure and I;ve been 3 months sober myself It does get better and better and I truly thank everyone here and family and AA and my Higher Power for giving me this chance again to stay sober before it's too late Keep at it! It makes me happy to hear such a great story One Day At A TIme!!!