Notices

Addicted to Roxys. Please Help.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Addicted to Roxys. Please Help.

I am a 23 year old college student who has been taking 1-2 roxys each daily with my fiancee. We started taking just quarters and halfs of 30's about 3 months ago when we were introduced by friends who took them. They were fun at first, but now they are taking over our lives. We spend on average $100 everyday on these, from the second we wake up we are trying to find some. We are to the point where we cant even make it through our classes at school without snorting one first, and find it impossible to function in an everyday life without them. Everyday we do them and cry to eachother about how bad we want to stop, but after about one day of not doing them we are in so much pain that we get more. Im scheduled to have a surgery on January 3rd, and Im worried about how they will react to the anesthetics/healing process. I picture myself dying on the operation table because of these. Does anyone know if I will be safe to make it through surgery while addicted to these? We want to stop so bad, and have talked about trying to taper off them, but of course we probably would not be clean by my surgery date and I'm just really worried. Please help!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi RoxyAddict,

You need to get with your doctor right away -- the one who will do your surgery -- because they MUST know you are on oxycodone in order to plan for your pain control in surgery and postop. If they don't know about this, you risk being in uncontrolled pain.

This doctor could also help you get off the roxys. When I had my second knee replaced, they wouldn't operate on me until I was off oxycodone for at least a week because of this. Unfortunately, in my case I didn't stop after the 2nd surgery and continued to be addicted. However, you have the opportunity to get off this crap, get your surgery done, and then let them help you with pain relief postop so you won't stay addicted to these. As you have found out, oxys can turn into a real HELL RIDE after you find yourself dependent on them.

Do it right away. Your successful surgery, and your future, depend on this.

FT
Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Roxy, please listen to FailedTaper. I made the mistake of not letting the staff know I was addicted to roxys when I suffered a compound fracture in my ankle and had to stay in the hospital for a week. The amount of oxy they gave me to manage the pain in the hospital had all the efficacy of a tic tac (I was insufflating a much higher dose than you were on a daily basis). I was in semi withdrawals and horrible pain until I was able to find an outside source to sneak me in several roxys after about three days - it was not a fun experience...but one that made me finally admit to myself just how much danger I had been putting myself into on a daily basis.

I will never forget the look on one of the post op care nurses when I got out of one of my surgeries - I kept begging for more morphine as soon as I woke up from the surgery - there was no question I was in pain and it took over 20 mgs just to get to a barely manageable level - she definitely knew something was up... the side looks I got were priceless...
Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Titanium

i was taking 20 times the amount you were. i say this only because there was a time, not so long ago that i was taking 1 or 2 a day.

nip this in the bud NOW. no need to figure out just how much you can handle. and if you have surgery, all the more reason to take care of this.

you may still have withdrawal, but it may not be horrible. it really does depend on your personal chemical make up, the length of time using etc.

Also, i believe that there is a major psychosomatic component to withdrawal. go into it thinking positively, try hard not to be scared of withdrawal. think of it as "i feel like i'm getting the flu." then get the flu, then in a week or so you'll not have the flu.

then you can start the "work" part of it: staying clean, being committed to recovery etc