Notices

I Take Benadryl At Night......

Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Take Benadryl At Night......

And I take it as recommended. I have allergies. Does this count against sobriety/clean time? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but there's people out there who actually abuse this stuff. (I don't. I couldn't. Taking one before bed is MORE than enough for me.)

Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have no idea why people abuse it. I've known a few people who did though too. It is a very mild anti-histamine. I take it for allegeries also and sometimes to help me sleep. I think you are fine with your original sobriety date.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You take it as directed for a legitimate complaint the medicine was designed for.
Case closed.

It's good to be cautious with such things I think.

On a personal note, I would think about talking to your Dr if you've been using it long term tho - there may be other treatments available for your condition, Squizz.

D
Old 11-25-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sponsor has 30 years sobriety. she also has sleep issues. She recently tried Benadryl for sleep. It didn't work for her, and dried out her sinuses too much.Regardless, she would never do anything to jeopardize her sobriety, and trying it for two nights certainly isn't reason to reset her sobriety date.

Benadryl and allergies? Sounds like medicine to me.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FWIW, this seemingly innoculous anti-histimine does indeed have a *somewhat* recreational usage to it.

I used to take high doses of this med when nothing else was available, and had read some stories online of other curious users' stories which piqued my interest enough to try it. I won't give the dosages since that's unnecessary and i truly don't wish to tell 'war-stories', but i took enough to nearly kill me.

The side-effects of such a large dose includes vivid hallucinations (which intrigued me at the time), VERY dry mouth and sinuses (which was entirely annoying, to say the least), and tachycardia (rapid heart rate) and heart palpitations (which both scared the CRAP out of me). There is information on the net about the effects of large benadryl doses but don't waste your time as they are using-centered and mostly desparate middle and high-school kids who can't get 'real drugs'.

Sorry if this was too much info but as a secondary note i will say that as recommended, i would strongly say that it is *not* a relapse, though do consult with your primary or addiction doctor if you have any doubts.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Forget it. I'm through with this stuff. I wasn't abusing it, but I'm not taking anything that I don't absolutely have to anymore. I've even contemplated taking OTC sleep meds, but forget that nonsense too. It's just so hard for me to sleep during early sobriety.

Regardless, I'm going to keep trudging along.

Thanks for all the responses, BTW. I've been extremely busy with work (I work 50 hours a week.) so I don't have much time to myself.

I'll try to get around the forums more often.

For those of you wondering though, I've been doing quite well for myself of recent, but it could always be better.

I just have to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Even if it is freakin' Benadryl.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like "simply sleep" or just plain melatonin... only issues I have, they either put me to sleep but dont keep me there, or I cant fall asleep and then am exhausted when I wake up... but I still think they work pretty well all the same
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CamilleBelle View Post
I like "simply sleep" or just plain melatonin... only issues I have, they either put me to sleep but dont keep me there, or I cant fall asleep and then am exhausted when I wake up... but I still think they work pretty well all the same
Yeah, I've taken stuff like "SleepMD" before. Thing is, it always leads me back to drinking and doing recreational drugs. I've pretty much alienated everyone who cares about me doing drugs and drinking, so it's not even worth the risk.

Professionally though, things have been really good of late. I've somehow managed to not miss a day of work in the 3+months I've been at this new job.

I really like it, and don't want to lose it.

But I know if I drink or use drugs, it's just a matter of time.

I can see the writing on the wall.

I'm almost afraid to drink a coffee these days.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry didn't mean to scare you about taking Benadryl, and as far as cravings for it i've never had any, i mean why would you when there is no euphoria involved, but nonetheless it had appealed to the piece of my addiction that just wanted to be 'out of it', so FWIW i think you have the correct attitude concerning lesser-known or less abuse-prone substances. WTG.