Notices

If you're new and thinking about giving up alcohol

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you're new and thinking about giving up alcohol

I came here a week ago and was scared and didn't know where to turn. Just coming to this site was a big step. Registering? An even bigger step.

I didn't want to have to quit, but if I was honest with myself, I knew that the path I was on was not sustainable. I thought as long as I hadn't hit rock bottom (like others), I still had time to adjust my drinking habits while continuing to drink. Truth is my definition of "rock bottom" was someplace worse than where I was. Alcohol was causing problems in my life, but as long as things could theoretically be worse, I felt justified in continuing to drink. I see now that using that line of reasoning there was no "rock bottom" outside of the grave.

Be honest with yourself. When I was I didn't like what I saw, but the truth was evident and if I did nothing, things were only going to get worse ... not better.

There will be no good, best day to give up alcohol. Tomorrow will always seem better than today. I just got to the point where I was beaten down and sick of what I had become. Something had to change one day ... why not now?

I'm only on Day 9, so the path ahead is unclear, but I knew I had to start. I have a long way to go, but I have been amazed at how quickly I've seen improvements in my relationships with my wife, children, friends, and co-workers.

If you know what you need to do, I hope you have the courage to begin. If you're not sure what to do, read the stories posted here and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you've been battling alcohol in isolation, you'll quickly learn that you are not alone.

I tell my kids all the time that a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. Have the courage to take that first step.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more - same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago today.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

True enough , any walk down a path starts with the first step. Having stayed in an unmanageable life with alcohol , seemed to me the one way to getting any kind of manageable life had to exclude alcohol.

I made every exception in the book for alcohol no matter how badly it treated me...gee I would never let another person treat me what way , why do I let this substance get a free ride to ruin me. Talk about a bad relationship...and ya its a relationship if its been around for a long time...

Life isn't instantly great but sure is more approachable sober than it ever is under the influence at least for me
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always enjoy posts like this. I'm coming up on two years sober and I feel like this most days - grateful to be alive. It can be a struggle, it can take a lot of effort to stay sober, but it's so worth it.

I tell my kids all the time that a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. Have the courage to take that first step.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt unique when I first came here, so I wasn't sure this was the place for me.

I hadn't hit bottom like alcoholics do. I was alone in thinking that I could learn to drink in moderation. If I did have an issue with alcohol, I was one of those rare highly functional types.

All of the above was untrue. Initially, I didn't like seeing myself in the mirror of the words of others, but knowing that my addictive mind is not unique has given me hope that I can come out on the other side of this struggle a whole person.

I have more questions than answers at this point in time, but I sure do have a lot to be thankful for this year.