Going to first Al-Anon meeting

Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to first Al-Anon meeting

I've been reading a ton online, and know that this is a step I must take. I tried to go to one earlier today, but never could find the place! I know where the one is tonight, though, so that won't be a problem.
I'm not sure why I've resisted it for this long; suddenly, I'm excited to be going.
RAH just finished his second detox round and is in intensive outpatient therapy. He seems so very committed this time, but I have come to realize that I have to put myself in the position to be able to be on my own should this not work out (we've been married 36 years and only the last 3 have been such horror - I want my old husband back, but not the drinking part of him). I'm trying to re-establish some faith and hope within myself so that I can move forward whatever the outcome is, and am happy to have found this site where you all have come through so much.
Anyway, wish me luck - I'm off to my meeting here!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck!

Great AlAnon joke: a place where you can walk into a room of total strangers and reminisce!

I hope you click with the meeting - each one has its own dynamic - I cried through my first few AlAnon meetings - I was so ashamed of myself - as if I was the first person to bawl at an AlAnon meeting! Oh the silly barriers we erect to keep ourselves from growing!!

Good luck-
B
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have yet to go to my first meeting, but i know where they are all held in my area & have the schedule. I know that i will be brave enough soon. I have heard it might take a few different meetings to find the one you're comfy in, so i hope it goes well, but if not-don't stop going. I am proud of you for taking the step!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! I went and it was absolutely wonderful. It was a small group of only ten of us tonight, and they were so welcoming and caring. I will certainly go back to this one next week! And there's one closer to my home that I will go to Friday night and check out, but boy, I can't believe i waited this long - I already know this will be my salvation.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!! I firmly believe your post will inspire someone else out there to take their first step into a meeting!!!

I'm so glad to hear you had a great experience and are going to try more meetings! My recovery really blossomed when I started going to a variety of meeting!

Yeah for you!!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good Evening Everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you...
i'm pretty new new here and only posted a few times.. i have not been to ALANON yet. but i have been reading alot here.. my bf is an alcoholic... we're not living together right now because i threw him out last month, the hardest thing i had to do...i miss him and love him, he went to visit a friend and is now sober for 28 days, i'm so proud of him i received a text from him today and a recent picture.. he looks healthier and can for sentences alot better then he could before...
he tells me he is going to alot of meetings and was asking me if my anger issues with him was cause of his drinking and not being honest. of course it was i know by reading alot here that many went threw more then i have...
he hasn't asked if he could come back.. so i haven't asked him 2, i want him to get as much help as he can and if he continued to stay sober i'd love to give him another chance, or does it sound unrealistic?.. i called and checked to make sure he could get help here and even spoke to a counselor and gave his name so that if he does come back he'll be able to get in right away..
i'm sorry this is so long..
i'd like to thank everyone here i see alot of support here for everyone and it was a blessing to find.. i did tell him about this site and he said he was going to pass it on to the members in his group... you guys have a wonderful night, thank you and God Bless
Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

how to i save this forum so i don't have trouble finding it again, i get lost easily lol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Al-Anon meeting information

Originally Posted by GainingFaith View Post
I've been reading a ton online, and know that this is a step I must take. I tried to go to one earlier today, but never could find the place! I know where the one is tonight, though, so that won't be a problem.
I'm not sure why I've resisted it for this long; suddenly, I'm excited to be going.
RAH just finished his second detox round and is in intensive outpatient therapy. He seems so very committed this time, but I have come to realize that I have to put myself in the position to be able to be on my own should this not work out (we've been married 36 years and only the last 3 have been such horror - I want my old husband back, but not the drinking part of him). I'm trying to re-establish some faith and hope within myself so that I can move forward whatever the outcome is, and am happy to have found this site where you all have come through so much.
Anyway, wish me luck - I'm off to my meeting here!

Glad you have decided to take the "plunge" by actually attending a local Al-Anon meeting. Alcoholism or alcohol abuse is a progressive illness for both the drinker and those who love them. Al-Anon is about you and your recovery. I felt so hopeless and helpless when I first started Al-Anon. The drinking got worse and worse and I lost hope. I never had faith that things could be better for me, him, or us. It was such a relief to meet other people who understood what I was going through.

I happen to be one of those people who knew immediately that I was in the right room at my first Al-Anon meeting. I've never stopped attending Al-Anon even though our marriage tanked. But members urge each other to go to at least six meetings before deciding whether or not Al-Anon is for you. We didn't get sick overnight and we are not going to recover after one meeting. Al-Anon saved my life and I know it can help anyone who is serious enough and willing to make a commitment to taking the necessary steps to get well.
Believe it or not, this horrible problem can be turned around into what helps you to recover.

You can always call 888-4AL-ANON or visit Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups for meeting information. Wishing you all the best on your recovery journey.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lavenderlily- while you are on the forum page click on your "Favorites" button at the top of your computer's browser window - or it could say "Bookmark." Then it will drop down a menu that let's you save or bookmark this website. Next time you open your internet browser click on Favorites or Bookmarks again and this website should be on your list of favorites.

If it takes you to the main page of Sober Recovery just look for the :Forums" and then "Friends and Family of Alcoholics"

Hope that helps - glad you're here!
Peace-
B
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi GF! The hardest thing I ever did in all of this was walk into my first Al-Anon meeting. I was fortunate to find one that I clicked with, and I still go 2x a week 2-1/2 years later. Best thing I ever did! I too have a RAH, your post resonated with me.

It's a place I can go to have peace and serenity. The anonimity aspect of the program makes it a good place where you can be safe to say what is in your heart and mind. I learn so much, make friends and be in a place where I don't feel alone.

God bless and good luck!!