Notices

alone on thanksgiving

Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alone on thanksgiving

Ok. I have hurt the people around me so much I will be spending thanksgiving by myself. I did this to myself. I accept that. It hurts not to be around my children though and lie to them and tell them that I have to work. My wife is taking them out of town. And she should. We are getting divorced because of me. I need support to stay strong all holiday weekend. I'm so upset with myself. But I accept the reality of my situation.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're not use to facing hard or difficult situations, we were so use to draining them out with alcohol. Maybe use this time alone to reflect on yourself and pick yourself up. As I said in another thread - One door may shut, but another door will always open. It won't be immediate, but you'll reflect on this current time in your life sometime in the future and you'll see how much you've grown.

Hang in there bud.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure this hurts immensely. Accept the situation and do not let it be for naught.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Stay strong Ryan.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

If you go to aa, there are often turkey dinners and non stop meetings. Stop by anyway, you won't be alone! Try Valley View aa club, call & ask what's up.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry - I know it must be tough, Ryan.

sugarbears suggestion is great - I bet there's a homeless shelter or something that could use a hand too - I find helping others really helps me when I'm down on myself

There'll always be someone around on SR too Ryan - you're not alone

D
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hang in there Ryan ,

I saw you post on my thread that you were staying home. I am going to see if I make some meetings . Do you know where you are going.

There is a new club on Brookpark Rd called Home to Hope , I am waiting to see what they are up to.

If you want PM me and we could become facebook friends , so then I could bring you in to two private groups of Cleveland AA on there .
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nursing homes and hospitals would love to have a volunteer to visit for brief periods with different patients who are otherwise alone on the holiday and confined to a bed.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. Divorce is tough under the best of circumstances. Last year my daughter spent Thanksgiving with her mom and stepdad. I hopped in the car with my dog, headed into the desert, and went camping for the day. While I didn't officially quit drinking until three weeks later, I feel that was the beginning of this journey for me. I remember stopping at a gas station and weighing whether to get some beer, and decided to hold off. It was lonely, and I was depressed, but I used the time alone to shift my focus from the past (regret) to the future (hope).

This year my daughter will be with me. I enjoy my time with her so much more now that alcohol is out of the picture. It's certainly not what I envisioned, but I love being a single parent. Do I wish I had quit sooner? Of course. Do I still have regrets? Sure, I think we all do. But I will spend this Thanksgiving being very, very grateful for the fact I quit when I did.

Stay strong. Better days lay ahead.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This must be very difficult - we're here for you. I'll be checking in ...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, I can imagine how hard that would be. I think the best way to get through it would be by continuing to work towards getting better. I'll be on here a lot this weekend as my husband leaves tonight for a golf trip until Sunday so I'll be on my own. It will be nice to post freely without worrying about him seeing though! And I won't be bragging about yummy turkey as I am a Canuck and we have had ours already.

I think what other posters said about volunteering somewhere sounds amazing. It will make you feel less lonely, and uplifted instead.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay strong Ryan. It will be hard but you can do it. I will be checking in from time to time. Feel free to email or come here if you need support.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ryan, If you are in the Cleveland area, you might consider starting your day with a Thanksgiving Breakfast followed by a meeting on gratitude. It's a little early, but you can always take a nap later in the day. No need to stay home and be alone. Make Thanksgiving a recovery marathon, volunteer at a homeless shelter, visit a nursing home and sit and chat with the elderly who do not have family visiting them. Do something, anything to get out of your own little world of sadness and help someone else. Serious.
Susan Lauren

THANKSGIVING BREAKFAST
Thursday November 24, 2011
Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church
12826 Lorain Ave.
6:45 AM
Gratitude Meeting
followed by Breakfast
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are so many Shelters that need help serving the Thanksgiving meal. Why not contact one and help out?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Happy Thanksgiving anyway

Because of my addiction problems this will be the first time in 26 years that I've spent thanksgiving with my family. God bless you Ryan and have a happy thanksgiving anyway.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I will be thinking about you and all the other sad people during the holidays! I too will check in here as well. Ryan make sure you reach out when it gets tough! Don't isolate.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alone? Looks like SR is the place to be on Thanksgiving, Ryan. I'll definitely be stopping by. After all, this place is one of the things for which I'm especially thankful.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll be around too - no Turkey Day here

D
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I let alcohol ruin my relationship with my two beautiful daughters. It is taking time but I am slowly rebuilding my relationship. NOTHING hurts worse then knowing that I let my children down. Don't let alcohol control you any longer. Use this site for support. Go to AA. Call a sober friend. Concentrate on getting well ryan. It is going to be a rough road for a while but you can do this.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're not alone. We're here. We join you in wishing you a Thanksgiving that will be the beginning of a wonderful recovery for you. And some future year may you look back and say that that was the time life finally started to get better and may your family return and give you all the love and admiration you deserve. Stick with it. All the best.

W.