Notices

Watching others recover on SR.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching others recover on SR.

I have only been on this forum for a little over a month and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

When you see people posting in the Newcomers to Recovery forum, their first post is usually very low and depressing and they don't see any light in front of them.

When you get updates on peoples situations and the changes that they're experiencing (good and bad), it makes you feel like we're all connected in a special way - We're all recovering from addiction.

With the amazing support system SR has, I love watching how people grow and build character since their first posts. While some of us relapse, we all pull together and support that person and try to get them back on the right track - I've never seen this with any forum I have ever been on.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know just what you mean. I get so much strength and friendship from the people here it's wonderful.

Any time I'm feeling bad about myself I read my first thread here. It was so depressing and hopeless. To think I used to feel like that all the time!

This is a fantastic community and I'm pleased to be part of it.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No doubt about it Gerbosko

I have been here full time since June and seen what you talk off.

Unfortunatly I am one of the people that have relapsed hopefully to never again. But yes so much love and support here I couldnt imagine not having SR in my life now hug

to last the Day 12
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in AA and have noticed the same thing.

I've also noticed that some people come to AA for awhile and then seem to fall of the face of the earth. I've always wondered what happened to them. The same thing happens on SR. Some of the people that were quite active when I joined have disappeared. I can only hope that they are sober.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AMEN!

You captured exactly how I feel about SR ~
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great you appreciate it, Gerbosko. We're glad you joined and are getting so much out of belonging. You're part of it, too.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I'm in AA and have noticed the same thing.

I've also noticed that some people come to AA for awhile and then seem to fall of the face of the earth. I've always wondered what happened to them. The same thing happens on SR. Some of the people that were quite active when I joined have disappeared. I can only hope that they are sober.
I know whatcha mean....its kind of scary. Some come and post one time then *poof*...then it gets you wondering if they are ok. But it was a step in the right direction for them -the seed was planted.
I know two guys that were on here (we were from the same state) but not active here now. Both are doing very well.
There's a few on here that have me worried since I've returned....But yeah, SR is awesome.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Yes, I am certain that SR has made a big difference in my recovery efforts this year.
Thanks for the post and big thanks to the mods who keep some of the threads from turning into WWIII. LOL
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very nicely said. SR played (plays) a huge role in my recovery.. Nice to meet you Gerbosko! Welcome!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have kept in touch off SR with some people who no longer post here. They are all fine...sometimes our recovery does better when we aren't active on SR
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Drink tea

I'm one of the disappearing posters. I just don't think I'm a forum kind of person, however I still visit the site most days and take a lot of strength from those who continue here.
I'm sorry I can't give as much as I take, but I really appreciate those who can.
30 something (I lost count!) days sober now, and still coming to terms with the fact that I will never drink again. When the beast taps me on the shoulder I just laugh at him; I know his game!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Gerbosko
Youre post hit the nail on the head for me , Thank You !!!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think SR is a real gift to those in need. While we don't know each other in real life, I think following personal stories and seeing other people succeed helps strengthen an entire team. The day I lost my job I posted on SR and was going to take a break to clear my head, but reading replies to my posts and other peoples struggling and making it through really did help bring me back to my feet again.. All strangers that don't know me personally, helped me through a difficult day / week .