Collect calls?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Collect calls?

Does anyone know if a collect call from a jail will say so? I received a collect call from my son on my cell phone (which can't accept collect calls). Just curious if I could figure out if he's just calling from a pay phone or if he's being held somewhere. Reverse lookup just gave me the city (about a half hour from here) and when I call the number it rings once then it sounds like a fax machine.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when I got the call here in California from my son in jail, it let me know the call was coming from an inmate at the detention facility.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

FYI, collect calls from jails are often extraordinarily expensive to accept. But if it is truly from a jail, the operator should let you know.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well...there is always the option of going online and checking the sheriffs roster...at least here in minneapolis I was always able to see if brother or boyfriend was in custody...and see arrest records too. what a thing to admit huh?! wow.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did go online, didn't find anything. My state doesn't post arrest history and only some counties participate in vine which is the online database to search for inmates. So... I don't know and that's gotta be ok. I said some prayers and that's all I can do.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So... I don't know and that's gotta be ok. I said some prayers and that's all I can do.
Sounds like some good recovery there.
It does suck to have a child in custody.
And, yes, those damn phone calls are ridiculously expensive.

Beth

ETA: the calls I got always announced which jail it was, who it was, and asked if I would accept the call.
another way was to buy a phone card, but that was very expensive too.
they cannot call a cell phone collect from the jail here, unless it is with the paid card.

Last edited by wicked; 11-20-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

It is generally announced if the call is made from a penial institution.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He was calling from a pay phone. Called again and my cell let me accept the call. Shouldn't have... I don't know how I'm going to make it through this. I'm so angry at him for putting us in this position. He knows what to say to pull at my heart strings. Denies drug use, he just got mad but of course that wasnt his fault. The shelters are full, I don't have a dime, etc. it's going to be below freezing tonight. I feel like such a horrible mother and person but I'm not the one who did what he did.

Guess ill go read another self help book...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi heartbroken. So sorry that you answered and had that experience I am a social workers and worked for years in homeless outreach services. I am not sure where you are located, but in many areas if temps get to the point that they could be dangerous (high or low) they open emergency shelters to ensure than anyone one the street who wants to come can. Here they call them "code blue" shelters. Also, many areas give out FREE sleeping bags, coats, socks, etc to people who are on the streets. Sadly, many of our addicts would accept all the free items, them go sell them. Many of our non-A homeless guys would assure me they were plenty warm bc they had 2 or 3 sleeping bags b/c they could always buy one off one of the drug users I say this just as a reminder that the resources are most likely there for him to be warm (inside or out). You can't control whether he takes advantage of those resources or not. Sending good thoughts your way . . .
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yes, they announce the fact that you are receiving a collect call from a jail facility loud and clear.

Hugs, Devastated