Notices

5 types of alcoholics

Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 types of alcoholics

this study was eye opening.

http://http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/news/20070629/5-alcoholic-types-in-alcoholism-study
Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

5 Alcoholic Types in Alcoholism Study
Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If anything, I'd be a mixture between

The young antisocial subtype comprises 21% of U.S. alcoholics. They are 26 years old, on average. More than half have antisocial personality disorder. They tended to start drinking at 15 and became alcoholics by 18 -- earlier than other subtypes. They are more likely to smoke tobacco and pot. The young antisocial subtype and the young adult subtype don't overlap, Moss tells WebMD.

The chronic severe subtype is the rarest subtype, accounting for about 9% of U.S. alcoholics. This subtype mainly includes men, has the highest divorce rate, and frequently includes users of illicit drugs.
But for me it really doesn't matter much... I rather focus on getting the help / treatment I need than wondering which "label" would fit me.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i just thought those numbers where crazy, i didnt want people to get stuck to the catagory
Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Young adult fo show....
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Geno! Day 8 done. Here comes day 9!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MINEr

I was the chronic severe type, but now I'm a true alcoholic, one who stands up at meetings and says so.

camedown
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I think I am a mix of the first two types but according to the article "The young antisocial subtype and the young adult subtype don't overlap, Moss tells WebMD."
Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yea, I don't really fit into one category either. Was kinda hoping I did, as it mighta provided answers. Closest to functional subtype, but they drink every other day. Every other day??!?!?!?!?!?!!? Man, when I was suckin em down, it was torture to not do it every day. No way I just drank every other day. There were other difference with that sub group too.

Oh well...overall, still an interesting quick read.

Thanks for posting the link geno.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The human mind and the power of addiction does not fit neatly into a Bento box. This study may mean something to therapists, but in my opinion is an over simplification.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Frankly, I don't think there are "Types" but there certainly are stages of alcoholism. I thought I was a functional "type", but realized things were not staying the same, but getting worse. What "Type" are you when you realize you have a problem? Is there a medically important depressed "type"? Is a genetic predilection toward hyper-anxiety "Type"? Is there an escapist "Type" who suffers first from a dysfunctional family life?

Genetics plays a major roll in how quickly alcoholism will destroy your life, and little is mentioned nothing about that. I found this article lacks in too many ways. "Types" are not fixed, and this article does little to address that. Is a caterpillar a type of butterfly?

I heard recently, "If you drink long enough, often enough and hard enough, you will become an alcoholic." What type is that?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely the functional type which is scary because I was always "worse than I seemed"...I remember I used to actually be proud of that. Crazy stuff...thanks for posting this!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

add blackouts and pill popping and occasional coke habits to the mix and this is me:
The young adult subtype accounts for about 32% of U.S. alcoholics. They're young adults who rarely seek help for alcohol dependence. About 24 years old, they became alcoholics by age 20, on average. They drink less frequently than other alcoholics, but they tend to binge drink when they drink. This is the largest subtype.
I'm 38 now. my first blackout was when i was 16. i can't even count how many times i've woken up with alcohol poisoning, dry heaving, in a fetal position on the bathroom floor. Not daily, Sometimes not even monthly - but it's been going on for 22 years. The first time it happened was when i was 16.

enough is enough. i'm going to die with regrets and misery and resentments and having caused so much wreckage if i continue this way.

95 days sober today and even though some days are so so so so hard i'm so excited that i never have to drink again even when i want to.

My last drunk was horrendous and dangerous and basically so weird. I went to the event with a clear intention of not drinking. obviously that's not what ended up happening. what did happen was countless glasses of wine and a 6 hour blackout and treating the person i love the most with disdain and hate and abuse.

and that makes me an alcoholic.

i love all of the reminders, as they keep me sober.

ergo, i like this "five types" study because again, it reminds me that not only do i have an allergy to alcohol (and the inability to manage it or my life in general) but also that i'm not alone. None of us are.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i think it is over simplfied. most of us couldnt get it if it wasnt. i dont understand dr. talk. to hi tech,
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow...just wow. I can't believe how high the percentage of young adults are on that list. Geralt, I can relate. I figured myself to be in the middle of that list too. Whenever the opportunity arose to go out to the bar and binge I would take it, but if it didn't I was perfectly content grabbing a bottle from the store and drinking at home. So I guess I drank a bit more frequently than the first sub-type. Thanks for posting geno. This was a real eye-opener for me.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn’t see them talk about recovery, sure young people are going to fit the excessive drinking the best, I did too, and then I grew into a 27 year old out of control, then 40’s etc..., I guess I have lived a little of all of them except the last category, my wife walked out on me Feb18th 2011 and I could have sank deeper, but that’s when I got hold of things, I haven’t touched a drop in exactly 9 months (Feb 20th 2011).

I guess if anything I see that article as a guideline if alcoholism continues to progress, I’m done experimenting.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think it's very helpful to label alcoholics by type.