Notices

I have stopped taking ativan for two days

Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have stopped taking ativan for two days

I need help.....I feel crazy!!!! what should I do? How long will this last? How long does it take to get out of your system?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the dosage you were taking. Did you taper your dosage?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Ativan is a benzodiazepine drug called Lorazepam. I don't know what dosage you were taking and for how long, but it is very dangerous to stop benzodiazepines cold turkey! You could develop serious withdrawal symptoms.

Please contact your doctor as soon as possible for a taper plan and advice!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I.ve bee on 3 mg's for 7 years... I have not tapered...I just stopped taking them...I think I'm going insane!!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Geralt, stopping benzo's cold turkey can be dangerous. I second contacting your doctor and discussing it with him.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do get in touch with your Dr or your nearest medical professional, DDRHOADES.

D
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's very dangerous to suddenly stop taking 3MG of attivan suddenly. You must taper off slowly. Please get medical help immediately!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DDRHOADES View Post
I.ve bee on 3 mg's for 7 years... I have not tapered...I just stopped taking them...I think I'm going insane!!
I came off a nasty Xanax/Ambien habit cold turkey a while back. Within 36 hours I was having seizures and as a result ended up admitted to a psych ward for a 10 day evaluation. While there I literally crawled out of my skin. 70+ stitches in my head as well, from the seizures. After that, I had a 5 month long protracted ordeal that I can only describe as hell on earth, all thanks to the benzo withdrawal. No need for me to describe how bad it was, look through a few posts here on benzo withdrawals, (try this one for starters) you will see how bad it can get. My long story short is I started drinking heavily as a result of this experience, just to make the horror story stop playing inside my head. Would drink myself to oblivion just to stop the nightmares and strangeness I was feeling. I went from a heavy drinker/problem drinker straight to full blown alcoholic thanks to that benzo nightmare.

Had I known then that it's not smart to just stop cold turkey I could have avoided months of sheer misery. So here's the deal, take it or leave it. Get to your doctor, or else find a medical professional who is well versed in the dangers of benzo withdrawal. There is a certain weaning method (can't recall the name, Ashton Method maybe?) that has been proven to lessen the adverse effects that stem from benzo abuse. Go here (benzo.org) and read about it. If you don't take that deal and continue cold turkey, without consulting someone in the medical profession, amigo you could be in for a very bumpy and dangerous ride.

I am serious as a heart attack to say that you could be in for a lot worse - but there's also the possibility you won't. Is that a gamble you're willing to make? Tricky thing about Benzo withdrawal is that some live through it with little or no lingering issues, while others seriously do feel like they died and went to hell. I would suggest that since you're already feeling like you're crazy, well that's not a good sign.

GO GET HELP.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DDRhoades -

Glad you're here and I hope you're getting help right now. Can you call someone to take you to the ER (or even call 911 - that way they'll take you right in and you won't have to wait in the waiting room)?

Sometimes the best thing to do is let others help us. Let us know how you are.:ghug3
Old 11-19-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I hope you have gotten medical help by now.