Notices

introducing myself

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

introducing myself

Hi All
I must say i never thought i'd be posting on a recovery forum but life is a funny old game i guess.
So whats driven me to this......
I've got a problem with alcohol. i didnt drink too often until recently but i've began drinking alone daily and hiding it from my wife. matters came to a head last night when i went to event she organisied and drank until i passed out. This isnt a one off for me this has happened a lot. I've obviously hurt and disappointed my wife and i hate that this has happened. i feel horrible for how i've made her feel and i think its about time i addressed my problems. i've spent the morning alone in tears and finally signed up for AA. My first meeting is tonight and i'm massively aprehensive about this.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome!

I don't think any of us thought we would ever get here, but remember that recovery is not anything to be ashamed of. Getting sober is something you can feel proud of, continuing in your addiction would be something to cause shame.

So welcome to SR and congrats on the decision you've made to address your drinking. I hope that the AA meeting goes well!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to My first AA today. I was scared to death. By the time I left I liked it. It is a little intimidating because there are some rough characters in there. People I would not want to meet on the street late at night. I'll have to get past this or find another location. Other than that I loved it. I was more of a loner when it came to drinking. Would not hide the fact that I drank...just hid the amount. Would tell wife I had 6-7 beers when I was really drinking 18 plus. Would hide all the cans in the bottom of the trash can. I am not living that life anymore. I was on a path that was going to end up with me dead or in jail...100 percent certainty.

Not drinking EVER again. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im really worried about quiting. i am hopefully starting a new job where i'll have to be out and entertaining a lot. i really need to quit for that and for my wife. temptation will always be on hand and i need a full zero tolerance to drinking i think. i've tried moderating many times and it just doesnt work i dont know where to stop.
how does everyone deal with the social conventions of staying off the booze when meeting people. do you simply say you've got a problem with alcohol or do you make up an excuse
Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I plan on getting a glass of OJ in a glass the same size as the mixed drinks come in. Of course I would have to go get the drink away from the others (go to the bathroom or something). I also thought about just telling them I dont drink. I envied people that said that when I was bending.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

I think everybody has their own way of telling people, weather its making up an excuse, saying i dont drink or like me, i just tell people..."YOU dont want me to drink, trust me!" whatever you are comfortable doing/saying........welcome to SR, i have found a lot of support here, and being raised a mormon, i never thought i would be here either! but really i am greatful for my trials and tribulations, they make us stronger then most!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. As you can see, you'll find a lot of support here.

Don't be apprehensive about your meeting. What's the worst that can happen—maybe you feel a little awkward at first? That will pass. And it sure beats that feeling of waking up to a tsunami of shame and regret. In fact, you have every reason to start feeling proud of yourself.

And don't waste any more energy worrying about social events. It's no biggie. I thought everyone would make a big deal out of it. It hardly ever comes up. Most people don't pay attention to who's drinking and who's not. When it does come up, I just say I don't drink. I've yet to have anyone ask any follow-up questions. If they did, my answer would simply be to say I stopped seeing any point to it.

Boy, is that ever the truth....

Glad you found us.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. i think im as close to rock bottom as ive ever been but at least ive recognised my problem, i guess thats a positive. Christmas will be a tough one this year but its definitely time to make a change
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Geordi and Darren , I am glad to hear your trying AA

I also am in AA , but i dont care what type of recovery you choose just as long as it works for you .

Welcome and keep comin back