Notices

Kinda freaking out

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda freaking out

Hello Everyone,
I'm into "day 2" and feeling a little shaky, nervous and unsure. The meds help BUT I was supposed to follow up the docs visit by seeing this shrink. I tried call the shrink yesterday and SEVERAL times today only to get an answering machine. Left my name and number and am not getting any call back! I know the shrink can't fix 40 years of problems in one visit but I was really, REALLY counting on being able to at least have this first visit to give me some advice, encouragement before I'm scheduled to return to work Monday.

Prior to this I was feeling very encouraged about this all. Now having to go into work Monday armed with ONLY the meds I'm almost positive I will give in.

Called my doc and left a message for him that this shrink is not calling me back so I hope he can take care of this....

Thanks for listening........
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are doing the right thing. Find a different psychologist for sure. Good luck- I am on day two also. Not fun- but looking forward to proving I can do it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first few days can be hard. It doesn't always make sense to you, but I can tell you that a few more days and you'll feel much more confident and have a better understanding of what you're trying to do.

Hang on to see the shrink. Even if it takes some time to get in touch, maybe he or she will have some good strategies for you.

And keep posting.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd keep pursuing it too Nik - sometimes you need to be that squeaky wheel with some medicos

Remember you're not alone - lots of support here

D
Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could just stop in and say you arent leaving!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nikoneer, Don't give in! You will regret it. Believe in yourself. Remember the reasons that you wanted to change. When you make it to Monday it will be Day 5 and you will be feeling better. Keep on trying. No matter how hard it seems, IT WILL GET EASIER. Hang on to your dreams. Visualize it. Want it more than anything. You are not alone. I know you can do this! Remind yourself that God and your cyber SR friends are with you and nothing can defeat you
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have found that docs, etc., are often difficult to get on Fridays. Keep at 'em!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well the shrink's office FINALLY called back and told me they could get me in "sometime" next week because the shrink wasn't going to be in the office today. I told her my doctor said I NEEDED to talk to her THIS WEEK! She said she could maybe get me in Monday (yet more time off work). I told the receptionist, fine whatever".

Then my docs office called back and I relayed all that to them. The nurse said she's going to get a hold of the doc to see if there's something else that he can do. So I'm just waiting for that call back.

Maybe I should just stop the meds cause you can't drink and do the meds together, do what works for me (self medicate) and try this whole thing over next week when everything is in place.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe I should just stop the meds cause you can't drink and do the meds together, do what works for me (self medicate) and try this whole thing over next week when everything is in place.
If it really 'worked' for you Nikoneer, would you be here?

I realise you're scared and that you really want to see this psych doc to make you feel less nervous shaky and unsure - but the truth is we all feel that way on day 2, shrink or no shrink.

You're doing fine, really, and I have no doubt you'll continue to be, regardless of when you get to see the shrink

Don't talk yourself into something you'll regret - stay the course

D
Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nikoneer, I second what Dee said. Detoxing is downright uncomfortable. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You can get encouragement here! Here are some helpful rules that I hope will help! 1. Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop this picture. Never think of yourself as failing; never doubt the mental image. that is most dangerous, for the mind always tries to complete what it pictures. So always picture "success" no matter how badly things seem to be going at the moment. 2. whenever a negative thought concerning your personal powers come to mind, deliberately voice a positive thought to cancel it out. 3) Do not build up obstacles in your imagination. Depreciate every so-called obstacle. Minimize them. Difficulties must be studied and efficiently dealt with to be eliminated, but they must be seen for only what they are. They must not be inflated by fear thoughts. I also have a note on my bathroom mirror it says "FIGHT - this will kill you". This battle really is a life and death situation. You have much to give and alcohol will only destroy that! I can tell from your post that you are beginning to doubt your commitment. Don't let fear take over - please fight for your life!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't give in to the old habits... You're only on the second day. By Monday you should be feeling a lot better, and the awful anxiety should be calmed down somewhat. Trust me - I've been there. The only way out is through - don't go backwards now, please. Walk your dog, call a friend - anything but drink. And don't give up on the shrink yet. Getting in on Monday is pretty soon considering when your doctor called her. It often takes weeks of waiting to get an appt so consider yourself lucky to get in so soon. (I know it doesn't feel 'soon' when you're in the throes of early w/d)

Trust me on this. Don't go backward now. Give yourself til Monday and see how much better you'll be feeling. The first few days of w/d are the worst, after that's over you should be feeling much better. Give yourself a little time before you get frantic.

:ghug3
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If it really 'worked' for you Nikoneer, would you be here?

I realise you're scared and that you really want to see this psych doc to make you feel less nervous shaky and unsure - but the truth is we all feel that way on day 2, shrink or no shrink.

You're doing fine, really, and I have no doubt you'll continue to be, regardless of when you get to see the shrink

Don't talk yourself into something you'll regret - stay the course

D
Very good post.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I would do what I did for my fiancé the one time I couldn't get her in to see her shrink: go to the ER or urgent care. Don't wait, 2 days is significant and like others have stated, before you know it, you'll be at day 5 and believe you me, it's much better than day 1 or 2. Stick with it and do what you have to do to get there!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Once again, all the support on here from all of you has pulled me through another critical moment.

The shrinks office called and told me she can take me in Monday morning and even though I was really, REALLY wanting to see her today so I would have a few days to reflect and think about what we were going to talk about BEFORE going to work Monday this will work. I am calmed down. Crisis averted...

I'm going to stay strong and committed and NOT give in to the easy way out. I would love nothing better than to be an example for others that if I (a fifth a day drinker) can get through this so can they.

I wish there were something I could do for all you who have helped me so much other than just saying thank you but for the moment words and feelings are all I have. I am so appreciative. In spite of everything today was a good day and tomorrow will be Day 3.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there Nikoneer, You've already made it this far, and know that in a couple of days you WILL feel better. Be strong and don't give up now, you're almost there, please don't throw those two days away to the bottle. Detox is only the first phase of recovery, but the most painful one. You can do this.

Day 3 was the worst for me, but then it started to get better each day.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish there were something I could do for all you who have helped me

There is something you can do. You can stay sober despite the challenges and work toward a better life for you and Sophie.:ghug3
Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nikoneer, pat yourself on the back! You are far stronger than you realize. Take it one day at a time. Let us know how you are doing
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nik,

"I wish there were something I could do for all you who have helped me so much other than just saying thank you but for the moment words and feelings are all I have"

What would make me happy Nik, and I'm sure I speak for others on this...is to see you stay the course and eventually post your encouragement to others..because you know how they feel. Just my 2 cents. Keep on going..you can do this Nik
Old 11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not get to some meetings and talk with other people who know & understand what you're going through?

ILLINOIS AA Meetings Help for Drinking Alcoholic Drug Addiction Treatment and Recovery in ILLINOIS AA
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting through a rough time. I look forward to your post on Monday saying that you didn't drink!