Notices

Day 12 realizations

Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 realizations

Last night I met my boyfriend's mom for the first time. We had a nice dinner and then went for ice cream. It was great! I was thinking how nice it felt to not be drinking. She doesn't drink (or very rarely) and I know that the Old Pigtails would have wanted to have a drink (or two, etc...) to relax and loosen up before meeting her, then wine with our Italian dinner, and then I'd want to have a nightcab with my boyfriend at home before we went to bed... and I'd have woken up hungover and tried today. Not to mention I wouldn't have been myself while meeting her. It felt good to just order water instead of agonizing over whether I can/should have a glass or two of wine and still appear presentable. I am starting to realize the freedom aspect of sobriety. We had a great time without alcohol, and even if I felt nervous and/or awkward at points, they were real feelings and not fake ones hidden in alcohol.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

While I was in the midst of my last binge and my fiancé was starting to get worried for probably the first time in our relationship, she called my father up for help. They ended up conspiring to get me to go out golfing with him instead of laying around drinking. I did end up going but had to chug 3 beers before I went out just to keep from shaking too bad. About halfway through the round, I could barely hold the club and played an absolutely terrible round of golf. It was that next day that I stopped drinking.

The next week, he dragged me out again. While I was mostly detoxed at that point, my brain wiring was still a jumble and it was very hard to focus. I did end up playing much better and was relieved because I hadn't golfed sober for more than 15 years. I mean really, what an odd concept, golfing without drinking, right?

It's truly amazing the benefits of sobriety, the things you never think were affected by drunkenness truly are in so many negative ways. I'm just excited to see what else I've been missing out for all these years, it's like a brand new adventure has opened up to me and I can't wait to experience it, all, sober!

Good luck with your journeys, it sounds like you are on the right track and have the will to succeed!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pikkle69 View Post
While I was in the midst of my last binge and my fiancé was starting to get worried for probably the first time in our relationship, she called my father up for help. They ended up conspiring to get me to go out golfing with him instead of laying around drinking. I did end up going but had to chug 3 beers before I went out just to keep from shaking too bad. About halfway through the round, I could barely hold the club and played an absolutely terrible round of golf. It was that next day that I stopped drinking.

The next week, he dragged me out again. While I was mostly detoxed at that point, my brain wiring was still a jumble and it was very hard to focus. I did end up playing much better and was relieved because I hadn't golfed sober for more than 15 years. I mean really, what an odd concept, golfing without drinking, right?

It's truly amazing the benefits of sobriety, the things you never think were affected by drunkenness truly are in so many negative ways. I'm just excited to see what else I've been missing out for all these years, it's like a brand new adventure has opened up to me and I can't wait to experience it, all, sober!

Good luck with your journeys, it sounds like you are on the right track and have the will to succeed!
That's a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm glad it woke you up to the point that you decided to change things. :-) At first I couldn't imagine doing anything without drinking and now I am excited about doing things sober.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I will say that in the last 2 weeks, I've had more drive for life than in the last 15 years, probably the most since I had about a 5 year sober stint in my 20's when I was just gobbling up life! I hope I can get back to that point because back then, I was unstoppable! I know it sounds a little vain but when it comes to getting my life back, it has to be all about me or there just won't be the right reasons to getting sober and ultimately, I will fail. Just as alcoholism is the most intense form of selfishness, so too must be sobriety if one is to succeed. My 2 cents...

Keep up the good work and do it for you!