Heard from alcoholic ex

Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heard from alcoholic ex

So I heard from him last night and usually I would be a mess today, sad, depressed etc. I am actually still sad. Sad that he's going thru much so pain because he's a wonderful person and doesn't deserve this disease; nobody who suffers with it does. He was explaining how miserable he is. How he regrets shutting down our relationship and starting to drink/use other drugs. When we were together & he was sober, he felt something was missing and assumed it was drinking and partying. Now he sees he's missing so much more like our relationship and sharing good times together. Normally, I would have fed into these messages and said that I missed him too and asked him if he's ready to get back together (codie, i know). Last night I just said that he has so much support from his family and he knows how to get help if and when he wants it. I truely see now that I couldn't have done ANYTHING to change the outcome of our relationship or his addiction. And I honestly believe that he needs to figure his stuff out before he can give me any type of commitment or before I can let him back into my life. I didn't have these revelations overnight, I have been processing our demise in therapy and working on doing healthy things for myself. Sometimes, I can't see thru the hurt and tears of my pain about missing him. But I know that last night and how I handled the situation shows some true progress on my part. Just for today, I am going to let myself be pretty darn proud of that. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you too!! You handled that beautifully!

It's hard letting our loved ones go - but doing so shows them just how much we truly love them.

Go easy on yourself today - reward yourself because you deserve it!
Shannon
Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sp UBBER PROUD of you! I haven't gone through that but being and addict to drinking I can understand what he is going through. And, until someone is ready to change for themselves and truly get the help they need they will never be ready to change... or any change will be short lived. Congrats on your change!!