Notices

Excerpt from an article about addiction

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excerpt from an article about addiction

This is an excerpt from an article I found in a psychology magazine and just thought it may be a little helpful to someone. It was to me...

"The antidote to addiction is learning to tolerate reality. Little by little. That is what sobriety really is. This is what the recovering addict needs the most assistance with: soberly dealing with inner and outer reality. And part of existential reality involves personal responsibility. We are responsible for consciously facing and dealing with our inner demons as constructively as possible. And we are responsible for dealing maturely with the outer world. It is clear that, especially for so-called celebrities sheltered from reality by fame and money, sobriety ( be it from alcohol or other substance abuse or compulsive sexual behavior) demands accepting the same reality we all deal with every day: being responsible for ourselves; making choices that are in our own best interest; tolerating tedium, frustration, anxiety and life's inevitable physical and emotional suffering. Addiction is the habitual avoidance of reality. What the addict needs to discover is that reality is bigger than we are. A devastating blow to one's narcissistic grandiosity, to be sure. But the beginning of healing wisdom and willingness to accept and embrace reality-including both its negative and positive aspects--on its own terms".
Old 11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love it....thank you.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been moving ever closer to understanding this.

Thank you for posting this.

-SD
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Addiction feeds itself in this environment. A minor upset during a sober time can become a major crisis during an active time that needs lots of big drinks. This then needs more and bigger drinks the next day.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is so profound. Thank you for sharing. This, to me, is the answer to overcoming an addiction. Accepting reality and not trying to escape it.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Personal responsibility, this is why I stopped drinking.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ME TOO Sparkydog and Bethany. My last drinking "incident" didn't even come close to my worst but something in me clicked.For me, reality can be the hardest thing to bear but it gets easier with practice and is 100% manageable sober. I also notice that I get so much more done financially, socially and personally. I am so commited to this life now and reading about it here and in articles such as the one above gives me even more insight and understanding.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Article View Post
Addiction is the habitual avoidance of reality.
And in my case, I could add the adverb "unknowing" to "habitual". In retrospect it is all too clear. But, at the time I never thought anything like "man, I need 12 beers so I can escape reality".

Thanks for the post, QFM!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

All very true. In short, recovery is growing up.