Notices

Insomnia - Help!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Insomnia - Help!

Today is day 11 for me without alcohol. I'm doing very well with everything except sleep. In 11 days I have been unable to get more than 2 2/1 - 4 hours.

I'm trying not to dwell on it. I don't let myself look at the clock. I tell myself that closing my eyes and resting is better than nothing. I'm getting very discouraged though and it's getting to where I absolutely DREAD bedtime because I know it will mean HOURS of tossing and turning.

Any tips or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

It's after 11PM now and I'm starting to get anxious because I know I need to try to go to bed soon.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey I know how you feel - I'm on Day 6 but I've yet to find a pattern. I sat up for two straight days until last night, went to bed at 8.30 in the evening and got up at 3.45 this morning.

If I have any advice it would be to try not to beat yourself up over it. You're still only in the second week and it does take time for your body clock to adjust. I'm just making sure I get up in the mornings - I see that as a victory, even if I only manage a couple of hours of sleep.

The other thing you could do if it continues and it's too much for you is go and see your doctor. I know that a lack of sleep can be a serious trigger, because of the potential to pass out. However, this is an urban myth in a way. The chemicals in alcohol actually do the opposite - you may pass out if you've drank too much, but the chemicals in your body that help you to sleep are partly nullified by the booze itself. I'm not a scientist so I don't have the terms, but I was reading a really interesting article about it recently and it's good to be armed with that knowledge.

But good luck. Insomnia or simply lack of sleep is a killer and a hard thing to get through. Just know if you can't sleep and it's getting too much that we're here for you.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

here are some non medical common sense suggestions
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, RyllianH. Though it's nice to know I'm not alone, I am sorry you are struggling with insomnia as well. And I can certainly see how it could be a trigger.

I have a post-hospital visit scheduled with my doctor for Wednesday and I plan on mentioning this issue to him. I'm not beating myself up but it's extremely frustrating. It's not fun feeling like a zombie every day either.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee that link is funny! Lol
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
It's not fun feeling like a zombie every day either.
I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm taking my sleep when I can get it - it's too hard to deal with everything else otherwise. You could also look at melatonin or valerian supplements - you can usually get them locally and they're natural sleep aids, but you can ask your doctor about those since I'm not one.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I know the feeling, I try to remember to stretch & yawn a good bit, two instincts we often forget as we age.
I also play ambient music or white-noise, because I have trouble with complete silence as well as regular radio or TV.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee! :-)

And thanks again, RyllianH. I too, am grateful for whatever sleep I get these days.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

flaminfredhair - can't help as I'm having the opposite issue (can't stay awake) but I feel for you. When I can't sleep it is very frustrating. I hope your body evens out and you can get some rest - hard to fight this fight without some rest under your belt.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with white noise. Get either an air purifier that makes enough noise to drown out outside sound or an electric sound machine from Bed Bath Beyond where you can choose between white noise and other sounds (crickets chirping, waterfall, etc)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I wasn't getting much either for the first 10 days, maybe max of 4 hours a night, sometimes none at all. Never been one for sleep aids but I broke down and tried valerian root for the first time and after a few days, I was getting pretty damn tired around 10 pm. Would probably fall asleep within about 15 minutes, sleep through the night and wake up after around 6 to 8 hours. Able to get right out of bed too. Just think if Ed Norton has listened to his doctor in Fight Club, that would have been the end of the movie!

Good luck and hang in there, sleeplessness is just another one of those things your body has to go through while the brain re-wires from alcohol abuse...
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sleep is very important to me, and it sucks waking up 4-5 times per night. This is what I do: Exercise during the day, avoid caffine after 4pm, valarian root (keep the cap on the bottle it is smelly!!!) No tv in the bedroom, keep it dark like a cave, low fan, 800+ thread count sheets and an excellent quality mattress is recommended (yes it's expensive but think of the money you save not drinking) ear plugs if necessary, eye mask. I read alot and keep a book on bedside. Use non-scented laundry detergent or mild scented lavender. Nightly prayer.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Originally Posted by Cardinalfan View Post
valarian root (keep the cap on the bottle it is smelly!!!)
I actually found a valerian root supplement that's not so stinky... it's got passion flower, celery seed, catnip, hops and orange peel in it. Aromatic yes, but not quite as bad as plain valerian root!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take melatonin and it has been a godsend for me. I also have a kindle and read myself to sleep every night. It really works well for me! Hope you can figure out a routine that works for you!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Valerian root with hops tincture, ALCOHOL FREE variety, hold your breath and put the drops in a cup of hot herbal tea, then you don't taste it. Works like a dream...pun totally intended.

Wishing you peaceful slumbers
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

On the flip side of sleep, anyone taking Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) for better brain function? Makes your pee smelly! Sorry for the digression...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend everyone sees their Dr before starting supplements - what's worked for someone else may not be good for you, based on other conditions you might have or medications you're taking etc.

D
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone!

I slept better last night. Went to bed at midnight. I was probably asleep by 1. Woke up once, went back to sleep, and didn't wake up until the alarm went off at 6:30. Tonight I'm going to try to be in bed by 11.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had the same problem at first. My mind races and I can't seem to not think about the troubles with alcohol. I would put the tv on low and just listen to block out my own head. I also use Valerian root on occasion. It does seem to calm me down and help me relax so I fall asleep. After the first week or so I was getting sleep. Your body will eventually relax and put itself to sleep so you don't need to worry about it too much.