Notices

I'm back and on Day 3... once again

Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back and on Day 3... once again

I first discovered SR almost exactly two years ago. Back then, the support that I received from everyone on this site was amazing, and it helped me stay sober for about 17 consecutive days. However, I eventually relapsed and resorted to my typical habits: 12-15 beers a night, 5-6 days a week. I stopped visiting SR. Stopped seeing my addiction counselor. And now here I am, 2 years later... an absolute mess. I have decided once again that enough is enough. I would really like to quit drinking completely and learn how to live a sober life. But I am so afraid. My recreational "life" has revolved around activities that involve drinking for so many years now. I just don't know what other types of things I can do that will occupy my time without drinking. When I tried this two years ago, I did very well for awhile, but then I eventually grew bored and frustrated and reverted back to my old ways. I am looking for help once again because I am really struggling right now. Today is day 3, and I feel terrible. I felt so depressed and weak when I woke up this morning. I could barely get out of bed. I called in sick to work this morning because I just feel so drained and weak. Believe it or not, calling in sick is a rarity for me. Even though I drink all of the time, I hardly ever call in sick... only once in the past year. However, today my mind and body must still be in withdrawal mode because I just feel really bad. I really hope that I start feelng better soon because I want to try to stay sober this time. I am so sick and tired and ashamed of the life that I have been living. Any help and support would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jester1025 we're totally here for you and will always give you support.

This is a difficult thing to do and I'm sure you're not feeling well. Maybe you should go and see a doctor, detox can be dangerous.

Stick to not drinking and in a few days you'll feel much better.

Take care and I'm routing for you -
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jester, I'm glad you're back.

And, it sounds like you've learned something important. I needed to change so much about my life in order to stay sober. Look at what changes you can make in your life, that will help to keep you busy and fulfill you as a person, and don't involve alcohol.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jester, Welcome back! I could relate to your post. I think we all can. Frustration and boredom are two huge triggers. For me, changing my thinking is imperative to overcome these triggers. It takes effort and a daily commitment. For me, it will be a lifelong process. Try and be gentle on yourself. Pat yourself on the back for posting in spite of feeling ill. Give yourself a hug for seeking support. Take it one day at a time. Believe you can do it. You are far stronger than you realize
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing that stood out is when you said:

"When I tried this two years ago, I did very well for awhile, but then I eventually grew bored and frustrated and reverted back to my old ways."

If you only worked at fixing everything for 17 days, that should be the first thing to recognize. We all have the need for instant gratification, and it sounds like you were bored for 2 weekends, and then threw in the towel.

Give it a go for at least 90 days before you declare life to be boring and sobriety too much work!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI Jester, I can relate to much you say. You want to change your life and you will if you really want to. There's lots of support here so stick around and read and post. Stay sober today and you'll feel much better tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I hope this go around is more successful for you.

Originally Posted by Jester1025 View Post
...I want to try to stay sober this time.
You probably didn't mean it this way, but in case you did I thought I would point out that you will need a stronger committment than "wanting to try."
Trying lasted 17 days last time. Quit drinking. Now. Make that committment. Make the committment to look into recovery options. AA is free and in most cities and towns in the US. But there are other methods. Make the committment to not give in to boredom or frustration.

Don't just try.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Never quit quitting!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I hope you succeed this time around. I quit drinking almost two years ago and the only thing I regret was not quitting sooner.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post.I am on day one again!Had four months but went "out" again.Really want to get it right this time.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support today. I actually started to feel a lot better earlier this afternoon, and tonight I have been enjoying a sense of peace that I have not felt in a very long time. I am off to bed soon, so it looks like I am going to survive day 3 without a drink. Hopefully I will feel much better tomorrow morning when I wake up. Thanks again!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey jester, i am on the same day. we can do this. you need to pre occupy your time with positivity and stronge reinforcement. stayed glue here everyday. post a bunch, exercise, just do something better than you are now. recovery isnt a one time time, it a life time acheviment. i post every day, dont be a strange