Notices

Well...here we go again

Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well...here we go again

I'm back. Not to happy about it but alas I think I need to be completely sober for a while. I was doing so good. I had cut down my drinking majorly and wasn't blacking out or even getting drunk. Went out last night with some friends, let all my hard work go out the window, and partied too hard. Of course Im paying for it greatly today with feelings of anxiety and queasiness and I'm really ready to give it up for good. I know its not going to be easy and I'm going to be my worst enemy but I just don't want to feel like this any more. Its so not worth it!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Sara!

I had to change my whole outlook. I thought I could control my drinking. I would get sober for "a while" but when I went back to drinking, I was only worse. I found out that I had to get sober for good.

I'm glad you've chose to get sober. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Moderating never worked for me in the medium to longer term. More trouble than it was worth. It took me a long time to "get" where I needed to be. Life is so much more when I am sober. Truth is I did not give up alcohol, I gained a chance at living.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was never able to drink moderately. I found the only way to quit was complete abstinance.
I've never had one or two in my life, and I never plan to.

Perhaps you should try giving it up for good. It's a wonderful, and fullfiling life I lead sober. I never thought it possible.

Best to you.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah you Sara. Yes I was hoping I could quit fir awhile and then drink moderately. But I had to face it. I could never really drink in control. The only reason I wouldn't get drunk is it people were around watching or the alcohol wasn't available ( like I'd have to ask the host to open another bottle lol)

Sounds like you'll be happier without drinking hanging over your head
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried so hard to drink 'normally' but never could so was quite relieved to just give it up for good.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Moderation is something that the true alcoholic will chase for a very long time. The big book says we will chase it to the point of insanity. But, the truth is for the real alcoholic it will never work… we can changer our behavior for alittle while but we will always return to the bottle. Unless you chase your sobriety like a life line to draining person then you will not be able to change.

I have done rehab, detox and several other instance… but, until you are ready to change.. you never will.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All excellent points!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Tried the moderation thing for years... as soon as I got to day 3 or 4 and started to feel better, it was time to drink again. Nope, don't work and neither does weaning IMO. When you get to the point where I believe some of have gotten, the only thing you do is just give it up outright, forever and for good.