Notices

New to the forum

Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
USMC Infantry

New to the forum

Hello, my name is Brendan. I am 23 years old and am finally at a great, and sober point in my life. It started when I was 20 and got into a accident on my motorcycle and was prescribed vicodin, and a lot of it. I had no idea it was a drug. I had never drank, smoke, nor even seen any drugs up to this age. I remember one night walking up to my mom and saying "Mom i don't know what it is, but this medicine makes me feel amazing!" Well, she was a nurse and hid it right away, I just wish she had explained the dangers of it because I still had no idea. Well, I found it again and began taking the daily dose because I thought it was ok. This went on for 3 years. In the month of January I went to wake my younger brother up and found him dead. I took it really rough and started to abuse the medication alot more, people were noticing now. Well, 3 weeks later my mom was told she had cancer. Then my dog was dying and had to be put down, and then the icing on the cake, I recieved a text from my girlfriend at the time (first one in 4 years since my first love passed away from cancer btw) who meant to send it to her friend from work saying how she enjoyed being with him and could not believe that she let him and his friend have sex with her and not to tell anyone. Well, it got out and I was heart broken, and had the oxycotin to get me thru all this. I finally was called out on my drug use by my dad. Went into detox. Came out clean, lasted two months and then tried crack. Not sure why, but I did. Got hooked on it for 3 months and it killed me, it destroyed my life even more then pain killers. It was hell. I finally decided to go into rehab after realizing i was the only person out in the ghetto area of my town at 3am. I was on the same streets buying crack that my dad used to arrest people! I just cant believe it got to that. I am now in a half-way house and doing better then ever. Parents are so proud of me and most of all, I don't hate myself and found my way back to being connected to a higher power spiritually. Anyways, I look forward to talking to people and thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Brendan!

All I can say is wow..... you've been through so much. How wonderful that you found a place to get clean/sober and have a positive outlook on life. Your post is truly inspiring!

This is a great community and support is at our fingertips 24/7. This place keeps me grounded. Glad you've joined us!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
USMC Infantry

thank you very much, and everything that i had to go thru only made me stronger and brought me closer to God. There is a reason for everything and I honestly believe that.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brendan, Welcome!

I'm sorry that you've been through so much.

It's great that you're doing well and I'm glad your parents are supportive. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
USMC Infantry

Thank you! As long as im able to read, and have access to a computer, I will continue to post.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have been through so much in your young life. God bless you young man. Your whole life is ahead of you. You are in my prayers.