Notices

looking for advice

Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for advice

Been drinking half a bottle of vodka every night after work. (usually late after wife and kids are in bed) This has been going on for years. I have stopped drinking a few times over the past couple of years, and looking to try again. It seems like after i have stopped and start again I drink more. I have never drank in the morning or during the day. I know its a problem thats why I am here. Has anyone ever found a sutable repalcment for drinking to stop the cravings and the mindset. I have read on the net apples, or fresh grapes ??? I spend all day saying no more drinking then talk myself into a drink on the way home which leads to half a bottle then asleep on the couch. It just seems like there is a small 2 hour window if I could occupy myself with something the drinking would stop. Like apples or grapes???
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no amount of fruit ever did it for me I'm afraid, Bandit.
Reading and posting here might work better - it did for me

Welcome to SR

D
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I did strawberries and bananas the first week. Lots of carbs like pasta too. And lots of vitamins. Withdrawals suck no matter what and short of going on a diet of xanax, you gotta go through it and it should be under a doctors care. Have the will, that's most important.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It seems to be different for everyone. I went to my Dr. And she gave me a name of a therapist, who has been helping me, along with a nutrionist who gave me a list of supplements that I can take. I suggest something like that. When my cravings got bad, I logged on to SR, (the best thing for me, out of everything) or went to a meeting. I'm not big on AA, but sitting with a bunch of people who know exactly how I feel really helps to.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome Bandit, I have gotten 'hooked' on iced tea and some days drink a full a gallon of it. It's cheap to make and you can add different fruit juices, choose how much sugar you want and control the amount of caffeine. Like D said, coming here helps me a lot, remembering how I was and never wanting to be there again.
Maybe you could start walking, biking, reading, video gaming etc. during those hours as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I'm not exactly sure why but ever since I stopped drinking alcohol, I've been craving Coca Cola like mad. Never been a soda drinker by any means so this is a very odd one for me. It does give me a strange sense of comfort while I get through these early days of recovery.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love sparkling apple juice. Especially Martinelli's or RW Knudsen if you can get it. Sooooo good!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never heard of particular foods being good for beating cravings, tho it can only be a good thing if you're eating good healthy food. We alkies often neglect our nutrition.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pretty much my story too Bandit. Get the wife and kids to bed and pull out the vodka and turn on ESPN. Still up early next day to get to work and start the day. That 2-3 hour of release was what I looked forward to every night. That release has finally caught up to me over the years. Only 46 but don't recover nearly as fast for the next day. It's so much better now not drinking. Waking up with a clear head and not nearly as grumpy! My nightly release has caused serious issues in my marriage. Serious trust issues have developed with my wife since the nightly events were an issue for us a couple. I, being the good alcoholic that I am, went to sneaking the vodka at night. Of course I was caught multiple times being sneaky...

Anyway, sorry to give you my life story when all you are asking for is food advice which I don't know of any! I do know now that the best thing for me is to go to bed when my wife does and I now flip to ESPN in bed when she's reading and going to sleep. Occasionally, I even read myself!

Best of luck!

GoMan
Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Goman that is my life in a nut shell. Look foward to my two hours of me and espn and vodka everynight. I tell everyone that it is me time.