Notices

My first post.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post.

Hey guys. So my name is Chris, I'm 27 and I'm an alcoholic. I've joined Sober Recovery because I feel I need to create a support network around me. For the past month I've been sober, but I've mainly been struggling on my own - my home town only has 2 AA meetings every week and since I don't drive, I can't easily get to the other meetings in other towns.

I'm really hoping I find what I need here. I fell off the wagon last night and although I admitted it today pretty promptly, my depression today is... difficult to deal with.

Anyways, I'm guessing this is basically the introductory thread? So that's my introduction - I hope I'm here for a while. Cheers people.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Welcome to SR. This is a great community for support, with amazing people. Best wishes on your recovery!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cheers - actually, a question? Where are the best places to get started on the forum. I can see myself being pretty active and kind of want to jump in right away, so any help anyone can give me with that would be much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Chris! I'm new here too but from what I've already seen, this is a great place. Several members say they owe their lives to Sober Recovery. We are all in this struggle together. Welcome!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Newcomers is where most people start out, and tho I've been a member over three years I still post in newcomers. There's also an Alcoholism forum with a lot of useful info in the 'stickies' at the top of the forum page, a substance abuse forum. We also have many different interest forums: religious, non-religious, gratitude, a social forum called Cafe Central, a social groups forum for particular interests/hobbies, forums for just women and just men, forums for parents/relationships, forums for friends/families of alcoholics/addicts. Look around and jump in anywhere.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Editor

Welcome Chris! Newcomers has several good threads to get you going and you can branch out from there. I started in the 2 weeks and under group and then started up in my month I joined SR. This is a wonderful site for support and shoulder when you need it. Not an easy journey,but worth every step.
Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Chris,
as Least already mentioned many of us hang and post in newcomers to recovery. However there are many other great areas to get active in. Since you drank last night you now have a November sobriety date and we have a new November 2011 group already started so you can chat online with some of your fellow November quitters at about the same stage you are now. Here they are!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2011-a.html

Look along the top in the blue headers above this, see the one that says new posts? You can click on that to see the newest posts today and respond to them, or find where others have answered other topics and at the far right what form they posted in which gives you a good idea of the context of each thread.

You can click on chat room and the enter and go into chat real time. Hang on because it gets really fast in there sometimes with lots of conversation crossing each other, but if you are in crisis just say so and you get answered for sure.

You can also click on My posts to see if anything new is on any of the threads you posted on today and back in time.

That should keep you busy for a few hours!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AOF

Welcome Chris....I'm new to the forum too.

Stay strong mate..!!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris! This is a great place to come to when you're feeling weak or you need reinforcement. It's like having 100 AA sponsors!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've already pretty much got the 411 on things here Chris...so welcome
good to have with us

D
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Chris welcome aboard.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you joined the family, Chris. Congratulations on your one month sober - you can get right back on track.

SR is responsible for getting me sober and keeping me that way - after I drank all my life. At 27 I was still in denial, still trying to manage the amounts I drank. I'm glad you've realized early on that you can't touch the stuff. I hope you keep reading and posting!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum!

Great support here, and someone's around 24/7.... I needed that kind of help, especially in the beginning. You never know when one of those urges will pop up.

It's great to have you with us!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris,

Like yourself I can't make it to meetings as often as I would like, once a week and that is at least a 6 hour roundtrip. This forum helps me to touch base with my alcoholism.

Rreading other posters shared experiences helps me to understand what I am going through and I am OK, it is just part of the process of getting sober.

It is wonderful that you realize early on that you need support and you are asking for it.

CaiHong
Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Hi Chris, I'm new here too. Been lurking and reading for a while and finally plucked up the courage to join and post less than an hour ago. I find it heartwarming that there are so many sober people here who are willing to reach out and help us. So glad we found our way here
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
5a5

Hi i'm also 27 and new here
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

Hello to all the newcomers, Chris , JustMeg, 5a5-I found the daily support thread invaluable, you can get in the November on on "the ground floor"