Notices

Hi. I here day zero

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I here day zero

Had a huge binger last week. I embarrassed myself greatly. I've been an alcoholic for my entire life. I've tried several quitting attempts. I don't think I've made a full year. I can usually go 4-6 months at most.

I need constant reminders of what I am. Otherwise I mentally checkout and drink again. If anyone can tell me what they do then I'm hoping it will stick this time.

Regards
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Bruman!

You are off to a good start by coming here for support. I find SR to be beneficial to my recovery and staying sober. I also attend AA meetings.

What have you done in the past to get you through 4-6 months of sobriety? What triggers you to drink after 6 months.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bruman

I found coming here every day and reading and posting, not only about myself, but to others too, really helped me commit, finally, to the fact I needed to make some serious changes on my life.

I know you'll find a lot of help and support here too

D
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi tin man. I can't figure them out. I just stop thinking about my drinking find an opening and get wasted.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hi tin man. I can't figure them out. I just stop thinking about my drinking find an opening and get wasted.
Hey, that's something to work with. My last hangover was Oct 29th 2010. I remember praying for God to kill me before I laid down on the 28th. When I woke up I was really upset to still be alive.

Remembering what it felt like will hopefully keep me sober for a long time.

When you stop thinking about your drinking, do you try to block out the after effects of a binge?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Had a huge binger last week. I embarrassed myself greatly. I've been an alcoholic for my entire life. I've tried several quitting attempts. I don't think I've made a full year. I can usually go 4-6 months at most.

I need constant reminders of what I am. Otherwise I mentally checkout and drink again. If anyone can tell me what they do then I'm hoping it will stick this time.
Your brief introduction sounds similar to me. You looked like you just joined, are you familiar with this site or anything similar? Do you have a program of your own you regularly follow?

I've never stopped going to F2F meetings as component of my recovery since 2008. It's been very beneficial for me. SR is great too , especially since people are round all day and night,.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Correct. It's like my mind hits reset. I NEED to stay sober. AA just doesn't do it for me. This looks interesting to me since I can login from anywhere.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this site Bru.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bruman, I was the same way. I would be good for a few months an don't drink and then I say to hell with everything. I'm going to get drunk. I felt bad before I started to drink and I didn't care at the time what was going to happen to me after I started to drink. Learning from your mistakes and hopefully not to repeat it again. It's an up and down thing but I'm still a live and I still have tomorrow to look forward too.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I 'll probably turn my focus to this site. I just really hope it sticks this time. I'm open to any other ideas/tools you can think of.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have the same problem....I often "forget" about my condition.... and, as a result, I relapse. And suffer.
I keep motivated by trying to remember physical withdrawal vividly.
Also I have made a list of pros and cons of drinking, with no pros whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, 4-6 months sober is pretty awesome. I don't think I've gone a full month without getting drunk since I was in my mid-20s. I don't know what to say since I've never made it that far, but it sounds like being able to stay mindful is key. I think being here or going to meetings is a way to do that. Hope to see you around!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey night watch. I was at that point for a longtime. Just keep trying
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The biggest thing I do for my sobriety is to be grateful. Every day. All the time, I'm grateful for all my blessings. And with an attitude of gratitude I've eliminated the desire to drink. Being grateful for my blessings shows me how much I stand to lose if I drink again. And it's working! I'm almost two years sober now and my whole perspective on life is a lot more positive.

At first I had to force myself to find just one thing to be thankful for. But I kept on, and it got easier to find things to be grateful for. It turned my whole life around. Give it a try. We've even got a Gratitude forum just for giving thanks. Hope to see you there.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah. I asked God why he still thought it a good part of his grand plan to keep putting me through this. I'm actually starting to feel pretty confident that if i just keep coming back here and reminding myself what I am made of, I should be able to make it. This time feels a little different to me because I've HAD it with these cycles. I very quickly loose the desire to drink at this point. It's the OH OK I've gone a long time without drinking...One wont hurt....Yes, one will hurt. Like Dorritos, Can't have just one...
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What works for me is a combination of AA and SR.