Alcoholic parent...

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic parent...

My mom has been an alcoholic for a long time, around 8 years. She has cheated on my dad on more than one occasion, and she has caused a lot of problems at home with the family. She starts a lot of fights, steals money, steals the booze my dad buys for himself once a week, she lies to get what she wants. I beg him not to buy it but he still does....just the same fighting happens and he threatens to stop buying it and get her out of here to get help. She's in complete denial and I have no idea what we can do about it. I looked up involuntary help programs because she will not do anything to help herself, but they don't seem to be legal in WI. She drinks at 10 am sometimes, most of the afternoon and evening are spent sleeping or screaming about something.

It's impossible to talk to her, I try, lord knows I try. I am more patient than the others in my family, but still she does not want to change. It's very frustrating and I cannot deal with this. Nobody else is willing to help her change, she has no insurance, NEEDS a doctor because of how much she drinks. I don't know what we can even do to get her help...

We are a troubled home, everyone has their own problems, I have a disease I'm dealing with that causes a lot of physical things that bother me and causes depression. So that on top of having an alcoholic in the house has made me unable to do a lot with my life. I'm working on fixing it though, slowly but surely. My brother is getting into trouble in school, he's expelled at the moment. My dad works 12+ hour days, and is the only one providing money for the 4 of us. We all have our problems we are trying to deal with, and whenever we bring up she needs help, she gets very defensive and says we are ganging up on her and acting like she is the only one with a problem. Even though I explain that isn't true, and we all have our own stresses, and her being an alcoholic does not help only causes more stress, she still just screams about it.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Random, I'm glad you found us.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, and the mess that your family is in as a result of her alcoholism.

The best resource I can recomend is meetings of al-anon. You can find them in your phone book, or here

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

They have wonderful meetings and a great collection of books and pamphlets filled with suggestions on how to deal with an alcoholic in the family. You can also browse thru all the "sticky" posts we have at the top of this forum, there is a lot of good information there.

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear this. One of my worst fears as a mother is imagining my children having to deal with my AH addiction issues in a more "in your face" kind of way. I know I can't protect them from it forever but I'm going to do all I can to prepare them for the challenges associated with having an alcoholic family member. My heart goes out to you! I think this will be a wonderful resource for you and you are doing the right thing by seeking support and information. I have yet to visit an Al-Anon meeting but maybe it would be good a good thing. (((hugs)))