Notices

9 days sober and feeling ANXIOUS...

Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days sober and feeling ANXIOUS...

I'm 9 days sober. I also quit smokingmy tobacco cigarettes and went to an e cigarette. I don't know if I'm trying to do too much at once. That was yesterday. Since then I've felt extremely anxious. I also have obsessive thoughts about my ex I lost because of my alcoholism. We are barely speaking and just texting each other. We live 100 miles apart. I don't think she is ever coming back. I can't stopgap thinking how I screwed all of it up. Its non stop in my head. I saw a therapist yesterday for the first time and I told her about my thoughts and she said to limit it to 30 min a day. That's impossible for me right now. I'm not sure if I'm gonna need meds if this keeps up. I don't know what to do right now. I just need to calm down. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anxiety is pretty common for all of us Gordo. Obsessions are not uncommon either.

If it's not getting better or you're concerned or you find it intolerable, you might consider seeing your counsellor again or a Dr.

I find breathing exercises can help - assuming you're not asthmatic or have any lung issues of course.

This is from a pretty good website:
Try These Anxiety Breathing Exercises « Calm Clinic

D
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suffer from depression and anxiety. Drinking made it much worse. Also, it never gave my medication a chance to work. Now that it's been almost two months, I only suffer from anxiety occassionally. If you find the anxiety is overwhelming and you find yourself not being able to function, like Dee said seeing a Dr. may not be a bad idea. Also, there are a lot of things to do to calm down. Meditation, taking a walk, listening to my favorite songs, playing games on the computer, have all helped me. There is an anxiety fourm on SR too, where I have read a lot of good things on how to lessen anxiety, you might want to check it out.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Gordo. Weird emotional reactions were all part of withdrawal for me that when on for months. I am nearly six months and I am not what I would call "normal". I recall six weeks into my recovery spending the afternoon in bed. I couldn't get dig myself into a hole there. it got better but there have been up's and downs.

The book "living Sober" is very helpful.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gordo I totally feel for you...I am going thru a similar thing- a break up and today is one week clean for me. Last night I barely slept because I miss my ex so much. I literally cried like a baby because of the sadness and the severe palpitations and anxiety I was having. It's awful to go thru this but I know that drinking won't make it any better. If anything, I have my sobriety and try to focus on that. I am hoping everything will fall into place. I too hope that my ex comes back but he's still drinking so I know he's not thinking clearly and reconciliation may never happen. For now, try to focus on feeling better and working on yourself; I know its tough. I started counseling too this past week and I really think that in time, it will help. Have you tried yoga? It really helps me to relax and you can do it in your own living room if anxiety strikes. Let us know how you are doing and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gordo, Quitforme

I feel for both of you, I really do - know that if you don't get sober and get yourself well, you have no chance of fixing any of the things that are weighing so heavy on you right now.

Please try and stay focused on this.

Big hugs
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suspect that your anxiety will ease up as time goes by. Try to be patient with yourself as you get used to sobriety. I had a lot of obsessive thoughts blaming myself for things too. It takes time and patience but it will get better. Journalling might help you to get your thoughts out.