Notices

I went to the B A R & didn't drink!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to the B A R & didn't drink!

We started out at a restaurant for my good friends bday and then we went to the bar next door. I was going to go home at that point but actually was having a lot of fun and didn't want to drink at all so I went with them. Turns out, a friend of my friends doesn't drink either so I spent a lot of time talking with her and she invited me to play kickball! I left when everyone started getting too tipsy because quite frankly, they were annoying. One of my friends was annoyed with the fact that I wasn't drinking and kept saying, "there's a bottle of white wine with your name all over it just waiting for you behind the bar". Really? Mind you, this person has seen me over the edge before so what an a-hole haha. I am so freaking proud of myself and just wanted to share. Hope everyone is having a great weekend
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! I am not sure that I would have that kind of will-power! I think its great that you met someone who also doesn't drink and it sounds like you might be getting involved in fun stuff that does not involve drinking. Kickball sounds like fun! :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Good for you! While I wouldn't make a habit of going to bars, you handled it well and it was great that you found someone who doesn't drink to hang out with.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely won't make it a habit. But so glad I went out because I met a sober friend and I'm new to the area so that's a big plus for me I am 100% committed to not drinking again and I think that's why I was able to abstain. Prior to this, I would say to myself "Oh' I'll only drink on the holidays or when I'm out (not alone)" and that just never worked. Finally making a decision has lifted the weight and what ifs off my back. I feel like I've been touched by something greater than me...I feel a strength I've never felt before. It's nothing short of miraculous and I am so grateful
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done - I agree with Suki, I wouldn't make a habit of it - but I think you know that.

I've been in this situationa a few times over the last eight months - I am diligent in talking to myself about exactly how I want my evening or situation to go and it's sooo important that you don't let that Alchoholic Devil Voice creep in because you know it trys..."IT" starts off with a soft knock at the door to be let in....That sober muscle gets stronger with exercise.

Good for you...sure you feel really good with yourself.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to a bar last night too, grabbed a quick bit to eat after work with some friends, drank water with my meal and bowed out and went home to the family when they ordered the after dinner drinks. Not something I plan to do frequently but it was nice to be able to spend some time out with friends.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome-good for you. And look- you gained a healthy new friend and a healthy, fun new social outlet, something that never would have happened if you had gotten wasted. The rewards are starting to add up!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! That's awesome that you made a new non-drinking friend!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you enjoyed your evening.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I go to bars all the time and I haven't drank for years. As far as your friend loudmouthing about a bottle of wine with your name on it...well now, that person has my pity. What a stupid thing for them to say. LOL

It doesn't matter where I go socially or whether or not alcohol is there. I don't drink, nor do I want to to, so it's of no consequence to me to be around it. When people act like idiots, I'm out though. Doesn't matter if they're drunk or sober, I don't tolerate obnoxious for very long.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quit,
Thanks for posting. I think that was significant for you and hope many who haven't discovered that you can still have a blast sober might start to realize you can because of your post.

I also found it amazing that there were other non-drinkers among us that I simply did not notice . . . until I was sober.

Sober does not equal boring. Boring people equal boring.

We can only be as interesting, as we are interested!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I also found it amazing that there were other non-drinkers among us that I simply did not notice . . . until I was sober."

This is so true itchy, had I been drinking I probably would've never had a great conversation with the 1 other sober person. She even got me to dance (never have done that sober). I do hope that it helps others see that you can have fun without alcohol. I felt wittier then ever because I was thinking straight and actually had myself and others laughing. All in all a really good experience. Thanks for all your responses, hope everyone is having a great weekend
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Itchy,
I couldn't agree more. Personally, I find those that can only find "courage in a bottle" lack creativity, passion, imagination, and drive. In short, drunks are boring. Drunk shenanigans are so passe...sober shenanigans however...LOL I'm all about that!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations - I'm proud of you.

I have a cocaine problem and would not have been able to say no if was placed in front of me. You must have come a long way in your recovery programme
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats!

I took me about 5 months or so before I felt comfortable going out to a bar type setting. The reason for going, live music. I love it.

Normally I go later after the band starts. Normally there is one person that has already had too much and stumbling. I thank God that I will not feel like that person in the morning and that's all I need to keep me from drinking that night.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"I also found it amazing that there were other non-drinkers among us that I simply did not notice . . . until I was sober."

I've got to second and third this. One of the biggest eye-openers for me has been that the majority of people at a bar (especially on nights with a band, DJ, or other special occasion that draws people out) aren't actually drunk. A few aren't drinking at all, most are only having a few... and then there's the alkies who think everyone else is as s***faced as they are. Not true!