Notices

Hi all

Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all

Hi all, I'm a new member and not really sure what to expect, but figured I'd give SR a try. I have pretty boring story. 43 years old, married 17 years to a great wife, two nice kids and a drinking problem. I guess I'm your typical high functioning alcoholic. Drinking 25 years. No DUI's, no missed work, no fighting with the wife or kids. My major problem in life is that I drink too much! Mostly on weekends, but also occasionally one or two days during the week. I'm a happy drunk who never gets beligerent or angry. But when I want, I can really pound down the drinks!!! No one is asking me to stop or telling me I should, but my health is starting to suffer. I want to stop, and I have wanted to for many years now. So here I am, 27 days sober and it's going very well! I'm really not sure I will succeed, because I cant imagine life w/o ever drinking again. I'm just looking for people in the same boat as me, and hoping they can help support me, and maybe I can eventually help support them! Any suggestions, tips, etc are more than welcome! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Betterlife1, I am right behind you and with you on this one. Your comments are similar to mine, with the exception of my drinking was daily. Best wishes, and god bless you. I'm praying for you.

Day 13 here for me.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR betterlife1

SR really helped me decide what I needed to do about my drinking...the folks here helped me to change my life.

I know we can help you do that too

Welcome!

D
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Betterlife,

Congrats on your 27 days that is a great start. Keep on posting on the boards, there is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from here!

Have a great sober weekend.

Lily
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Fraggy! Best of luck to you too! From my two friends who have quit drinking, one of which who was real bad shape, the other was more of the "functional" type. They both said it definitely get's easier with time!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Betterlife,

Welctome to SR! It is nice to read that you are doing something about your drinking before something bad happens - good for you on 27 days!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Betterlife!

I don't think any of us can imagine not drinking again when we first get sober. Give it time and continue to reach out for support. This is a great place and we're glad you're here!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BL...your story is almost word for word the same as mine, including the age. The only difference is I have got two DWIs...one 21 years ago and the other two years age. I've decided that it's time to end the madness that I've been thinking about ending for many years. I agree, it's freaking hard to fathom never having a drink again, but it has really helped me to focus on the present and not worry about tomorrow. In all honesty, I've really been enjoying the clear haed I've been walking around with for the last six days and I remain hopeful for MANY MANY more!!!

Best of luck to you and we'll see you around!!! We can do this!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Betterlife. Mine is a similar storey with the exception that I am 10 years older with several short failed attempts at sobriety behind me. You are doing great. Forever never comes, all we can do is try to manage today.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Congrats on your sober time.

I found after some time that the idea of never drinking again actually started to seem realistic and plausible, even appealing. It took some time though, and I still have rough days, but I'm sure that you'll find that the longer you spend away from alcohol the less appealing it becomes.

Best wishes to you in your continued sobriety!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story with us BL. Congrats on your 27 days sober. That is great news. Your story is vey similar to mine, although I evolved into a daily drinker for the last couple of years. It is at times hard to think about never drinking again. However, I know that I just can't drink like a normal person. That is just my reality, and I am working on that realization every day.

SR has been a key player in my recovery. The people here are genuine and very supportive. Welcome. Thanks again for sharing wih us.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow!! Thanks to all for taking the time to read my comment, and responding with all your encouraging words!!! This is great and just what I was looking for!! As I mature in my sobriety, I hope to do the same for you and others! BTW, I read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Drinking" about two years ago. I thought it was a great book that really got me in a great mindset to quit drinking. I did quit for almost two months, but then decided that I could drink just a little bit socially. We all know how that goes, so I was back to my old ways shortly thereafter. But it was an excellent book, and I highly recommend it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I hit a 'snag' in my recovery around two or three months. Just feeling like I was sober but still miserable. What saved me was practicing gratitude every day. I forced myself (at first) to be grateful for at least one thing each day. And after a while it became a habit, a good healthy habit, and I started feeling much better, even lost my desire to drink. Give it a try. We've got a gratitude forum here. Stop in and give thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!