Notices

13 days and my second weekend

Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13 days and my second weekend

Well. Here comes the weekend. It's my second weekend and I'm going to face it head on!! My shakes are gone and my sleeping has gotten a lot better. Now it's just my mind thinking about having a drink or how great a beer would taste that is making it difficult. Though the thoughts of drinking last only a few minutes, but I have those thoughts probably 10 times a day. I've been pre-planning my nights and weekends so that I'm not doing something but wanted to see if others have other ideas. Thanks everyone to this site and stay strong!!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im in the same boat, not far along as you though. It was bloody hard tonight leaving work walking past all the bars in this very warm weather, but the payoff is so worth it. I wrote down all the bad things alcohol has caused me and the things it continues to do to me and what I am risking if I continued the way I was going.... whenever I read it helps to really kill the urge.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good sober weekend you guys

D
Old 11-04-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great idea to write things down Lizard...I wrote a letter to myself my first day sober about why I'm doing this and it definitely helps to look back and remember where I was. I have been planning out my days too Skeeterskat. Too much idle time will make me think about drinking too much. Have a great weekend all
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Weends are tough for me, too. And I've been sober 22 months.

Wish I had some sage advice to offer, but I just try and keep busy.

Best of luck to you this weekend.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

At this point in my journey, just a month or two ago, I made two lists. While they both motivated me to sobriety, their effects were quite different.

The first was a list of all the bad things that would (will?) happen if I continued drinking. This is the scary list of doom, death, and self-destruction. We all know what is on that list because we all face those same physical, psychological and social dangers by drinking / using. These scary things are the same for us all, more or less.

The second list I found a lot more useful. It was a list of all the good things that I would (will) lose if I chose to drink, the things that are personal and unique to me. I looked inside for the aspects of me that make me work, the things I have worked so hard to achieve, the things that make me want to live.

Will I choose to have that joy? Will I choose to have a family I love and that loves me? Will I respect those things so that they can respect me? Will I respect myself? I own these choices because I am free to make them as I choose.

If you make a list, separate the reasons to stop drinking like this. It can help you stay committed to yourself and to your own answer to the Big Question: What is your plan for your continued use of alcohol? Will you drink or not?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope you made it lizard. Im now 15 days sober and I feel great. I'll try your suggestion fresh start and make a list. I realize that if I continued with my path, I'd end up in jail, or even worse, death. This is such an awful disease. I'm just glad I have this site to talk. I'm finding that after work and the mornings are the hardest. I've stayed busy by going to the gym before. This has helped tremendously. It's now a mental thing.