Notices

WHY can I not get the urge to drink out of my head?!?!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

WHY can I not get the urge to drink out of my head?!?!

Day 9.

Its been every day, right before work ends. Its so stressful. All I can think about is drinking even though I really dont want to. Its like beer is ALL around me yesterday and today. I am getting through it, but not without putting myself into tears over the ********. I just dont understand why the urges havent went away yet...I am done with the withdrawal. Is this all in my head?
As of right now, I want to get off work, and go to the lone star biker rally happeining right outside my job and party. Will I? No. But why do I feel like I am hating sobriety??? It was cool at first but now it just seems boring and stressful. In the mornings, I feel great. In the evenings, I dont want anyone to even speak to me. I always have headaches in the evenings, too. This is just tiring. Sorry I needed to vent again. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Dom! Congrats on 9 days!

First off, be gentle with yourself. You need to learn a whole new way of being and the first month or so is hard for everyone. Not necessarily a physical raving but the mental one of what am I supposed to do now? Don't worry, it will come.

I also got evening headaches for awhile when first sober. If you are worried see a doctor, but it also might be the stress of an evening alone and sober.

LaFemme.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks LaFemme. Its just more I am not having fun anymore. All I do is go home, clean, sit around, clean some more. I want to be able to go out and have fun like everyone else, not be cooped up in my house because I cant deal with being around alcohol, period. Sometimes I think that I dont want to quit drinking, frankly, life seems pretty boring without it. I hope it changes, because right now, my life in general seems pretty lame.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing really well Dominica. Stick with it and keep reading and posting. It's a long haul but if you take a drink today you'll send yourself back to physical illness, depression and self-loathing. It'll get better.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dom

If you're like me you drank for years - 9 days is great but it's a beginning, not an end yet

It will take a little time and effort to get past the mental obsession and craving - but it is possible - and you're not alone - you have a lot of support here

My life felt lame too - I'd looked to alcohol to be my entertainment, my social director, my time passer, my nurse, my sleeping pill, my morning wake up call etc etc ....but I eventually started living again.

Think of non drinking things you like to do - hobbies, interests - or find some maybe?
I can't stress strongly enough your life is what you make it, Dom

keep with it - you can do this!
D
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dom, you can still have fun, lots of fun.

But, it might be quite different from what you used to do for fun.

Early recovery requires a lot of changes and sometimes it's just plain hard.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's going to take more then 9 days of sobriety to get rid of that urge to drink. A lot of people stay 3 months is the mark that your urges will not bother you. It's really depend on the person.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I really dont know if I am going to be able to make it today. God I hope I can.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Dom, you can still have fun, lots of fun.

But, it might be quite different from what you used to do for fun.

Early recovery requires a lot of changes and sometimes it's just plain hard.
What I used to say to myself when I thought I was missing out on the wonderful fun that everyone around me was having while drinking was -

''Go on then go ahead & drink. Do you really honestly think in the morning after a night of drinking that it will still be a great idea to have got drunk? Do you think 'Fun Fun Fun' will have been when you wake up? If drinking is sooo much fun then why does it bring so much crap & chaos & pain along with it too? That doesn't sound like fun like me, that just sounds utterly miserable.''

Talking to myself this way allowed me to go ahead & give myself permission to drink but also to know full well the true facts & reality of the situation & how it would be when/if I decided to drink. This was enough to make me not want to drink.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What helped me was hitting bottom pretty freakin hard. (3rd time was when I got it). First and second time I had a negative attitude. This time, after crashing into a house and almost killing myself was when something clicked inside me. That incident was the best thing that ever happened to me. Eating right and exercising made me feel like a million bucks. Hope you dont have to go down that dark road. Getting off work was a big trigger for me. Like Eddie Murphy once said... "party all the time". Fred Flinstone's 5 oclock whistle and I was off to the races. For me that race is over now. Its only 54 days for me now but my attitude is much different.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you make it today Dom it will get easier - if you don't...it's a slide back to square one.
You won't regret staying strong in the morning

D
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Come on Dom! You can make it! We're all cheering for you!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

me too

I dont know if this is helpful or not, but you are not alone at the moment. I am really really close to drinking. I am trying to think of something to do after work to get my mind off of it. But I cant think of anything that would not cost an arm and a leg, like take my son to dinner and a movie (on a school night even!!). Or go SHOE SHOPPING!??
Part of me wants to fight through this. Do ANYTHING to keep myself sober. And part of me says I can handle just a little and I'll be back on the wagon tomorow. :-(
This thing sucks. Big time.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dom,

I can understand the cravings. I think that they get easier after 30 days. Instead of cleaning why not treat yourself in some way? I don't do a whole lot either, but I think "fun" is overrated. You can find activities that are soothing. A warm bath, a nice meal, a good tv show/movie, good book - all things you can't enjoy fully when you have been drinking. Think how good and how proud you will be if you can get over this craving.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by 808state View Post
What I used to say to myself when I thought I was missing out on the wonderful fun that everyone around me was having while drinking was -

''Go on then go ahead & drink. Do you really honestly think in the morning after a night of drinking that it will still be a great idea to have got drunk? Do you think 'Fun Fun Fun' will have been when you wake up? If drinking is sooo much fun then why does it bring so much crap & chaos & pain along with it too? That doesn't sound like fun like me, that just sounds utterly miserable.''

Talking to myself this way allowed me to go ahead & give myself permission to drink but also to know full well the true facts & reality of the situation & how it would be when/if I decided to drink. This was enough to make me not want to drink.

I like this. I used to ask myself two questions if I got a craving to drink. One: would drinking help the situation? and two: did I really want to feel like shitt in the morning. I never had to ask the second question because I knew so well that drinking would make any situation worse, much worse.

Nine days is very early in recovery. Give yourself some more sober time and slowly but surely those cravings will become a dim and distant memory.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I like this. I used to ask myself two questions if I got a craving to drink. One: would drinking help the situation? and two: did I really want to feel like shitt in the morning. I never had to ask the second question because I knew so well that drinking would make any situation worse, much worse.

Nine days is very early in recovery. Give yourself some more sober time and slowly but surely those cravings will become a dim and distant memory.
Once you really understand fully & accept completely that drinking really will only make life worse for yourself & bring not one single moment or second of joy then you can start to be free (relatively speaking of course) of the all consuming & over whelming cravings...well this was true for me anyway.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending you Peace, Love & Strength Dominica ♥
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm at 21 days, D. It gets better, a little easier. The cravings are there, but not as strong. My will power is now stronger than the urge. Hang in there, girly!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dom, we talked about this before. By not drinking, you are NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING good, just giving up hangovers, sick liver, brain, belly. On the other hand, by drinking we are giving up our self respect, our relationships with friends and family, a job, a home, and anything else that you value. It it really a tough choice?

Stay the course, we are pulling for you.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can make it. I believe that. Because i have to believe so can I. I got home and no one is here my wife had to go to the store. It crossed my mind to run to the corner store. I am outside right now reading this site and hoping these feelings and urges will pass i need to get to day 5 and you need to get to day ten. We can do it!