Notices

Made it a week

Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it a week

No alcohol for a week!! I was so afraid of detoxing, I kept putting off sobriety but I made it through the worst. Most of the sweats, anxiety, etc. have lessened, but the depression still lingers. Now that I'm no longer self medicating, the issues I face are so real. I have to feel again and it can hurt. I haven't cried this much in a long time. It's healing though, and definately better than being in denial. Yesterday was challenging. I was so tempted to drink, but the 1 week marker was right in front of me, and the moment passed. I guess 1 of the tricks to staying the course is to just let those temptations pass through, and in a matter of minutes, they'll be gone. The saying is 1 day, hour, minute, second at a time, right? 1 week turns into 1 month, turns into 1 year ( I hope)! Week 2, here I am!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Great job! One week is fantastic!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like that, about letting the urge pass through. If we try to reject and ignore these urges, they will soon become irresistible, and those white knuckles can cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

Recognize the urge for what it is, your alcoholic voice demanding a drink, in spite of what you know will happen next. I just acknowledge these urges with a smirk, because I know that I am stronger than any urge. My survival is at stake, and I will prevail.

"Ha, is to leff. I leff at you silly stupid urge. Ha. I will taunt you a second time".
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week! That's great.
In my experience, you should be through the worst of the withdrawals. You sound happy in your post and that put a smile on my face.

You can do this. As you stated, one moment at a time, if need be.

Keep at it, and best to you.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

The urges can be pretty intense and can come out of the blue. There is an article somewhere on the net about "urge surfing". The central issue is that you do not have to act on your feelings and urges. I found that when they hit they tend to have a wave like structure and overall they diminish over about 40 minutes if I didn't drink.

I am nearly 6 months and I have not had a physical urge to drink for months.

I came to the conclusion that the addiction had corrupted my emotional system and it takes months for it to sort itself out.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats. Remember, the days can be long but the weeks and months go by fast. Hang in there.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations SD - & stick with it - I found it definitely does get easier

D
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on the week, now do another.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats SD!!!!

"I was so afraid of detoxing, I kept putting off sobriety but I made it through the worst." - this is a KEY statement and an ohhhh so true one - you don't want to go back there...remember that. You made that climb out of the cycle of hell - keep going SD...Big Hug