Notices

Worth repeating

Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile Worth repeating

I don't remember who posted this originally. But it certainly deserves another look.

"How come you don't drink anymore?" a renewed acquaintance from long ago asked the other day.

"Anymore than who?, I asked.

"I mean any longer. How come you don't drink anything these days?"

"Drink? I drink...coffee, milk, juice, tea, soda pop, water..."

"I mean drink" he said. " you know, booze."

"Oh, booze, No I don't drink booze any more, you're right," I said, "I couldn't trust it anymore. It turned on me. Once my friend, it became my enemy."

"Maybe you got a bad batch." he said.

"No the sauce is the same. I changed. Because I have this illness of alcoholism, my tolerance weakened. Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people."

"Sounds pretty confusing" the fellow said

"You think you're confused," I said, "You should have seen me. I drank for happiness and became unhappy... I drank for joy and became miserable... I drank to be outgoing and became self centered... I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely."

"I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious...I drank for friendship and made enemies... I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self pity... I drank for sleep and wakened without rest."

"I drank for strength and felt weak.. I drank medicinally and got sick.. I drank because I thought my job called for it and I lost my job.. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.. I drank for confidence and became uncertain.. I drank for courage and became afraid.. I drank for assurance and became doubtful... I drank to stimulate thought and blacked out... I drank to make conversation and it tied my tongue... I drank for warmth and lost my cool. I drank for coolness and lost my warmth... I drank to feel heaven and came to know hell. I drank to forget and became haunted. I drank for freedom and became a slave...I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply... I drank to cope with life and invited death ..or worse... I drank because I had the right and everything turned out wrong."

"Gosh!" My friend exclaimed, "That must have taken a bunch of booze to get you in that shape."

"Just one" I told him, "The first one. For me one is too many, and a thousand is not enough."

"So that is why you don't drink anymore...?"

"Yep, I make it a rule, I DON'T DRINK WHILE I'M SOBER!"
Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Least,

I hadn't seen that before. I have been having the daily urges to have a drink, the alcoholic mind telling me that I am not really an alcoholic and things are going well now and you can see where you have messed up and you won't be like that again. Nice to have a drink and relax, you deserve it and so on yackity yackity yak.
Feeling happier and better than ever!!

I am going to print this out and carry it with me during the day when these urges come upon me.

Thanks again.
CaiHong
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Every word is true for me. Thank you, least.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Least you always have a lot to offer (never the Least ;-)

I loved it, especially this part.... Wow! Thank you

"Sounds pretty confusing" the fellow said

"You think you're confused," I said, "You should have seen me. I drank for happiness and became unhappy... I drank for joy and became miserable... I drank to be outgoing and became self centered... I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely."

"I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious...I drank for friendship and made enemies... I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self pity... I drank for sleep and wakened without rest."

"I drank for strength and felt weak.. I drank medicinally and got sick.. I drank because I thought my job called for it and I lost my job.. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.. I drank for confidence and became uncertain.. I drank for courage and became afraid.. I drank for assurance and became doubtful... I drank to stimulate thought and blacked out... I drank to make conversation and it tied my tongue... I drank for warmth and lost my cool. I drank for coolness and lost my warmth... I drank to feel heaven and came to know hell. I drank to forget and became haunted. I drank for freedom and became a slave...I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply... I drank to cope with life and invited death ..or worse... I drank because I had the right and everything turned out wrong."
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Least,

As usual you come through with a post that inspires and motivates me. Thank you so very much! Have a great evening, and give those dogs a hug for me!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Yep, I make it a rule, I DON'T DRINK WHILE I'M SOBER!"

Thats a good rule!

Nice