I finally took action to help my son

Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally took action to help my son

It's been a while since I've been here. But I thought I'd give an update. After an incredible amount of trepidation and soul searching, I finally sat down with my son and told him I am concerned about him and want him to have a drug/alcohol evaluation. It was what they call a "low level" intervention. I calmly and lovingly told him I would like him to have an evaluation by a professional. He was surprisingly calm too, but said he didn't understand why I'm jumping to the conclusion that he has an addiction. He said he just uses the gaming as an escape. (isn't that what addiction is all about?) He also smokes pot, although he tried to minimize the amount he's doing. I kept the talk brief, no yelling, no crying, just looked him in the eye and told him I love him and want to help him. He said he was concerned about the money, since I'm always harping on finances. I told him he's worth it, no matter what. We would find a way. I think I saw a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

I feel so much better, now that I have actually had the "talk". I think my next step will be a higher level intervention, with a few loved ones and an intervention professional in attendance.

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get the nerve to do this. People on the outside looking in would wonder why I haven't done something before now. One day at a time....
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

You have done a wonderful, loving thing. The first step. An intervention would be the next step. You say you saw a "glimmer" in your son's eyes? You may want to do the intervention while that glimmer is there...........good luck to you

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CXR

Some people "fear" the intervention because it is the "end" of the situation as they know it. Either the person gets help or they experience the consequences of not agreeing to get help (the consequences of your decisions). That's if you stand your ground. That's why some people fear it.

You've taken a big step, a healthy and loving step.

Progress, not perfection. Maybe it's not important why you took this long. Maybe it's what you needed. You did it when you were ready, strong enough, etc. -- and not before. The next step is the hard one. Very hard. The professional will guide you and advise you. All the best.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, stay strong for both of you.

Best of luck,

Bill