Notices

They like sober me

Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They like sober me

I was be-bopping along the halls singing to myself yesterday. For the the job that I do, that is an unusual sight. I made all my co-workers smile at least once during the day. I got to thinking this morning how different my co-workers look at me now. I can see that although a lot think I am a bit quirky and stressed out, they kind of like me. It's a real good thing for my self esteem. I truly needed to feel that yesterday. I get no encouragement at home as my bf makes it his lot in life to criticize everything I do. Every day sober, I am beginning to feel that strength and self worth that I use to have. I would not be able to find that strength while drinking. Every day I get a little bit stronger. Every day I like myself a little more. I hope this continues
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you and ditch the BF!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety will make you see things clearer. I thought when I was being put down all the time that I wasn't listening. That I wouldn't let it affect me....well, somehow it got in my psyche. When you hear negativity everyday it undermines any self confidence you have. I'm so happy you have an outlet that allows for you to feel good about yourself. Keep up with your sobriety and sing your heart out!!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opivotal View Post
Sobriety will make you see things clearer. I thought when I was being put down all the time that I wasn't listening. That I wouldn't let it affect me....well, somehow it got in my psyche. When you hear negativity everyday it undermines any self confidence you have. I'm so happy you have an outlet that allows for you to feel good about yourself. Keep up with your sobriety and sing your heart out!!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Every day sober, I am beginning to feel that strength and self worth that I use to have. I would not be able to find that strength while drinking. Every day I get a little bit stronger. Every day I like myself a little more.
Soberred, that is an inspiring story. I didn't have an SO that was down on me all the time, I used to do that job just fine all by myself. Booze numbed that feeling, but also caused it at the same time.

The return of that feeling of self worth has taken a couple of sober months and is becoming more secure every day. I can tell by the sense that some people at work look at me differently, as though they are seeing something new that wasn't there before. I feel better, I carry myself better, I dress better, and I feel better.

A few have even asked the reason for this transformation, and said that my leave from work did wonders for me. I don't say that I am now sober, but that I have made some decisions for myself, some changes, that should have made a long time ago.

And then I smile.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No one at work knew me prior to going sober so they have nothing to compare to.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW..encourageing post.

THANKS.