Notices

I did it!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it!

We have an annual get together Halloween night at our house with about 7 other families and their kids. I was a little worried as this is my first sober Halloween, but I made it through without even really thinking about alcohol! Which is amazing because all of the adults were really drinking a lot! I just put my sparkling pomegranate blueberry juice in a wine glass (is that ok?) and focused on being of service to my guests. Every time I make it through something like this I feel like I am getting a little bit stronger, sort of flexing my sobriety muscle! I'm grateful and just had to share something positive with y'all. Thanks and Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course its okay to put a non-alcoholic drink in a wine glass, if anything its recommended since drinking is socially acceptable. Congrats!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Well done. You didn't drink and made it through in style. Your skills will improve in time. Only you can decide what works for you. I avoid anything that "looks" drink like - for me it can feed the monster.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through Eliasson

like Instant I avoided any wine glasses or the like in the early days cos I used them so often to drink but do what works for you...

nowadays I prefer a mug if I can get away with it LOL

D
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Halloween

Halloween was a big one for me too, I've only just recently been accepting my drinking problem so it was really hard; Halloween has always been a big drinking event for me, really one of the biggest nights of the year. I managed to not go off the rails, went out with boyfriend and friends on friday but only had three drinks which is REALLY good for me, and basically refused to go out for the rest of the weekend, choosing to hibernate rather than put myself in a drinking situation at this point. Am really glad I did that and good for you for not caving in on a big night! I know how easy it is to psych yourself into drinking on special occasions. Seems like there's always a special occasion to drink though, right? Keep on doing what you're doing!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is absolutely something to be proud of. Well done

"That sober muscle gets stronger with exercise"
Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with using any sort of container, but you don't have to use a wine glass.

When I was in college I felt like NOT drinking was taboo... being sidelined as the "sober kid", but I feel like in "real life" it's very acceptable to not drink. I remember every now and then one of my roommates would just "not feel like drinking tonight". That always baffled me... I ALWAYS felt like drinking tonight.

But there's nothing wrong with not drinking, and you don't have to feel like you have to "pretend" to drink at parties.