Notices

new member that needs help

Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy new member that needs help

Hello I am new to all of this and need advice on where to start. I developed problems with my kidneys 6 months ago and was prescribed some pretty strong pain medication.I have been taking them for six months now even though my kidneys got better 4 months ago. I have tried to just stop taking them but I can't. When I stop my body feels like it is going to shut down.I can't even get out of the bed and I have a two year old and a 7 month old baby I have to take care of.I would ask my family for help but I'm to embarrassed. Please help I feel so lost and confused. Thank you and God bless
Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. The best thing to do is call your Dr asap and explain the situation...they will be able to come up with a solution to help you. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally agree with giving the doctor's office a call. Just explain that you'd been taking such-and-such a medication for your kidneys and stopping it is very hard on your body and affecting your energy level, etc. ... and ask them for some direction. They may ask you to come in .. or they may simply tell you how to taper off the meds slowly.

In any case, I would start with a call to their office right away, and go from there. Hope all goes well!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi aking85

I also think your Dr is a good place to start if you haven't done that already

You'll find a lot of support here - we also have a substance abuse forum you may be interested in looking at as well:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

welcome to SR
D
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please do talk to the dr who prescribed the medication and tell him how you're feeling.

I'm glad you posted.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope your doctor can help you get off the pills and back to a normal life.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum aking -

I think it's a very positive thing that you recognize your dependence/addiction and want to do something about it. I would think your family and doctor would feel the same way.......

There's a section on substance abuse you should check out too:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You're not alone, and there really are solutions out there.....:ghug3