Struggling With Change

Old 10-31-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Struggling With Change

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

The only sense that is common in the long run is the sense of change - and we all instinctively avoid it.
—E. B. White

Nature reveals to us a world that is always changing. No two sunsets are alike. Winter brings invigorating days while spring brings new buds and blossoms every day. Summer brings lazy warmth and star-filled evenings while fall brings crisp afternoons and a sense of nostalgia.

Even though nature shows us a constantly changing world, we often resist the changes in our own lives. Changes can be both hard and sad, yet they are a part of life. Perhaps we are moving on to a new school or a new neighborhood, or perhaps we are feeling the changes that come with a divorce in the family.

With every change we say a sad goodbye to something old, something familiar - in the same way we feel sadness for summer's end when the first leaves begin to fall. Yet every change also offers us the excitement and potential of a new season - with its own opportunity for new smells, special gifts, and invigorating days.

How have I changed today?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading, today, really hit home with me. I still struggle with change even after many years of recovery.

Sometimes I just get comfortable with the way I am living, even when the way I am living isn't the best way for me. It's easier to be comfortable with the familiar than to adjust to change.

But hindsight has shown me that every single change in my life has been good, even when I didn't like it one bit or fought it all the way. Change has brought me to a place of peace and acceptance with my life, and it has brought me a new sense of adventure too. I am more daring today, to reach out for my dreams and not worry about tomorrow. That may be the greatest joy of all that change has brought me.

They say that "nothing changes if nothing changes". How will you change today?

Hugs
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I needed this reading today.

Thanks Ann.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you know that fact that I'm older which means I'm changing physically and mentally kinda sucks. In fact, I was bumbed out about it a couple of days ago. However, enjoying my daughter cooking for me over the weekend and seeing her become a strong young woman makes it all worth while. It changed my attitude about getting older and I decided I need to embrace the change with a positive outlook. I sure have enjoyed my daughter's visit. I sure miss having my kids around all the time. However I am enjoying the freedom I never had as an adult as I had kids pretty young.