Notices

coping with Halloween & Thanksgiving

Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

coping with Halloween & Thanksgiving

We don't have Hallowe'en in my country, but I know it can be a problematic time for a lot of us.

I chanced upon this great blog page last year - it's a womens blog and it's actually for Thanksgiving but I think most of it can be applied to nearly every social situation for anyone.

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

1. Think ahead. Is it hard for you to be around alcohol? Be honest with yourself. Now is not a time for heroics. Keep your expectations realistic: if it is going to be too difficult, maybe this year is a time to do something different for Thanksgiving. Don't set yourself up to fail. You can spend a quiet time at home watching movies or hanging out with other friends, volunteer at a shelter serving food, or go to a meeting instead.
  2. Thanksgiving is usually about family. If there are people in your family who trigger you, be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.
  3. Have safe people to call - program their numbers into your phone in advance, and tell them you're going to call if things get tough. If everyone around you is drinking and it starts to bring you down, talking to someone else who is sober helps you remember that you are NOT alone.
  4. Bring your own beverages. This is especially important if you're going to be around people who don't know you're sober. If you always have a drink in your hand, people won't hand you alcohol or ask if you want something to drink.
  5. You don't have to over explain. If someone is pressuring you to drink, be ready with an answer. A white lie is totally acceptable - tell people you're on antibiotics, or you're watching your calories and so you aren't drinking.
  6. Have an escape plan. If you can, bring your own car. Plan to go for a post-turkey walk - fresh air and exercise will get your endorphins flowing and help tamp down cravings.
  7. Plan your exit in advance. If everyone is going to settle in to watch football and drink and you don't want to be part of it ... don't. Tell whoever is hosting that you have to leave at a certain time so you don't get drawn in to staying longer than you want to.
  8. Remember to be proud of yourself - shame and guilt are huge triggers. Give yourself credit for staying strong.
  9. Think about the next morning, when you'll wake up hangover-free and rested. Think about how horribly you felt the morning after drinking, and how sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."
  10. Think through the drink. If you start romancing how nice "one drink" would be, remember how many times you told yourself you were only going to have one and failed. Having one is harder than having none, because once alcohol is in your system the obsession comes alive.
  11. Remind yourself that Thanksgiving is just one day. A simple 24 hours, just like any other day. Don't put more importance on this day over any other.
  12. Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
  13. Believe in yourself. Getting sober and staying sober takes serious guts - you are brave and strong and true. If guilt, shame and remorse start talking to you, remind yourself that it's your disease sneaking in the back door. Let your sober voice ring loud and proud in your head.
  14. Forgive yourself for wanting to drink. Don't expect that you won't be hit with a craving; it's natural. Prepare for how you're going to handle the craving instead of berating yourself for having one.
  15. Be grateful. Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks.. make a gratitude list and carry it with you. Try to focus on the gifts you have in your life, all the possibilities that lie in front of you, instead of all the things you can't have. Sober, you can do anything.
Just wanted to put it out there - maybe get some other ideas going too

Happy Halloween everyone - have a good sober time!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thankyou, Dee. I remember that really helping me last year. Traditions are wonderful, but they can be deadly at times. It's all about being armed with good advice.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that. For me, and for many I'm sure, Halloween was always a "freebie" time to drink .. just too easy.. too expected. Same with other holidays and festivities. Having a plan not to drink at those times is such an important part of the battle .. Very thoughtful of you to post this this weekend.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
csim

I love that Dee. The first time i saw it a few weeks ago i saved it to my phone so i can look at it whenever i need.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love it...thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm hate thanksgiving and I hate the extreme persistence that we HAVE to get together with the family (that most times we can't stand the rest of the year) on that one particular day, and be overstressed to buy presents by Dec. 25, OR ELSE!!!

yes, sir reeee! wait in line forever at the airport, get delayed by bad weather, drive hundreds of miles, spend money you can't afford, ALL just for that one special day where you end up arguing with family member over some crap anyway.

geezzz, I hate the pressure.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I've come to absolutely love Thanksgiving. I love to cook, I love to eat, and I love to spend time with the people I care about. That's what Thanksgiving means to me. The idea of muting the pleasure of that day with alcohol does not even cross my mind!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee - copied it!
It's got it's own page in my on-going "inspirational thoughts" folder
Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Thanks Dee!

The holidays were unbearable for me last year. I needed suggestions for how to deal with drunken argumentative friends/family! Great post.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

bump for Turkey Day

D