Notices

setting a sobriety date

Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

setting a sobriety date

I'm sitting a date.. this might sound stupid.. but I have not drank in a week and 1/2,, but on Nov 10th I am going to have one last glass of wine. Because I want my first day to be.. 1.11.11. one, one, one, one, one....
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meblonde - Not to be harsh, but playing with dates and days is like playing with fire. If you are alcoholic then how are you convincing yourself that you will only have ONE glass of wine. I have not met one person that has a drink and says goodbye, as for me this would trigger my mental obsession and thats all I would think about and eventually get drunk. Usually people quit after a bender due to the physical and mental imbalance which gets them through a couple of days and then they just keep going as they have a base to start with. Could you imagine a heroine addict saying lets shoot up one last time......well I'm sure you can get where I'm going. Again sorry if this is harsh but setting a date is weak.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VolcomStone51 View Post
Meblonde - Not to be harsh, but playing with dates and days is like playing with fire. If you are alcoholic then how are you convincing yourself that you will only have ONE glass of wine. I have not met one person that has a drink and says goodbye, as for me this would trigger my mental obsession and thats all I would think about and eventually get drunk. Usually people quit after a bender due to the physical and mental imbalance which gets them through a couple of days and then they just keep going as they have a base to start with. Could you imagine a heroine addict saying lets shoot up one last time......well I'm sure you can get where I'm going. Again sorry if this is harsh but setting a date is weak.
That is typically how people are counseled to quit smoking. Pick a date, focus on it in preparation, then smoke that last cigarette and think about how much you hate it while ceremoniously throwing out lighters, ashtrays, etc...

All it serves to do it to ingrain in the mind that you are giving up something, that you are now in sacrifice mode.

Then they wonder why the quit rate for nicotine is slow low...
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well, you see I went on vacation for two weeks the last part of Sept and I knew I would drink.. but I also knew that I would limit myself to 1 glass of wine and I did... so I don't mean to be harsh either,, but I can,, and will,, what works for some may not work for others.. one persons ways DOES not make it right for everyone.. And the date is a very important date for me.. that is another reason I want to do it this way...
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree about setting dates, I would start right this second
Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand you would be excited, but what are your plans between 11/1/11 and now? Also, I guess I worry if you have chosen this based on the interesting date? If this is so, and an unfortunate relapse takes place would you wait for another meaningful/interesting date to start again? I am just worried as is seems like a fun thing to try on this particular date (I may be wrong in my assumption). I am not trying to be mean by any means, I just am playing the devil's advocate. For me I woke up one day after a few prior attempts and realized my life was not my life anymore and I was being ruled by alcohol and have not touched anything since. I wish you luck with your sobriety!
plans between 11.11.11 not drinking..
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Agree about setting dates, I would start right this second
I haven't drank in a week and a half.. I don't plan on drinking except on 11.10.11 might not even be a glass a wine.. maybe a sip just so I can say my day of not drinking is 11.11.11..
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meblonde View Post
.. one persons ways DOES not make it right for everyone..
True enough. Perhaps after 5 years of unsuccessfully doing it your way, you might be willing to consider another way that has worked for others?

When I got sober, I had to consider on a very fundamental level whether my continued failure at maintaining sobriety actually qualified me to know what was best where staying sober was concerned. Things changed dramatically when I became willing to consider 'somebody else's way.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
True enough. Perhaps after 5 years of unsuccessfully doing it your way, you might be willing to consider another way that has worked for others?

When I got sober, I had to consider on a very fundamental level whether my continued failure at maintaining sobriety actually qualified me to know what was best where staying sober was concerned. Things changed dramatically when I became willing to consider 'somebody else's way.
I think I see why I left this once before.. Rude people.. one tells me I'm weak.. for sitting a date.. I think I know I'm weak.. just like everyone in here.. After all.. booze contolled all of us making us ALL weak some just a little longer then others.. Then you tell me my way hasn't worked for 5 years.. Like I don't already know that? But hey, thanks for the support..
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

meblonde, please don't get offended or leave. Rather try and listen to the message instead of focusing on the way it it coming across. I also used to set future dates to quit all the time. I can't say it ever worked. I think if you really want to quit you should do it immediately. Or at least seek medical advice as soon as possible. There is no point to delaying your journey to sobriety. Some cliches spring to mind - "Life is short" and "There's no time like the present". I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 30Sober View Post
meblonde, please don't get offended or leave. Rather try and listen to the message instead of focusing on the way it it coming across. I also used to set future dates to quit all the time. I can't say it ever worked. I think if you really want to quit you should do it immediately. Or at least seek medical advice as soon as possible. There is no point to delaying your journey to sobriety. Some cliches spring to mind - "Life is short" and "There's no time like the present". I wish you the best in your recovery.
Ty 30sober.. I'm not leaving. I have not drank for 1 and 1/2 weeks.. the last day i drank was my x hubby's birthday who was very abusive to me. I do not what that date as my quite date. So I will contiue not to drink up to 11.11.11 on 11.10.11 I will have a sip.. just so I can have a quit date other than his birthday... that is why I want to have a nother day.. and because God is number one.. I want to do it on a date that is all Ones.... thank you so much for your kind words..
Old 10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're free to do what you want meblonde...but knowing what I know now - now I see what an amazing life there is once I free myself from the chains of my addiction?

I wouldn't wait one more day

Yeah 11.11.11 is a cool date - but 1.11.11 is pretty cool too...

but it's not really about dates - it's about making the decision to stop hurting ourselves.

That's the really important thing, to me.

D
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh me blonde I can completely relate to you I've had it going thru my head forever how cool it would be to say that my sober date is 11.11.11! I've decided the date isn't the most important thing. I've worked hard 24 hours at a time to get to this 24 hours and it hasn't been easy. I feel like it would completely devalue the time I do have AND I can't be absolutely sure it wouldn't trigger a landslide. And what if next year I decide I like the date 12.12.12. I don't know how many more sobering up chances I have left and personally when those thoughts enter my head I dismiss them as being the alcoholic voice inside of me which I'm trying very hard to overcome. If I take a drink on purpose to change my sobriety date then I feel that in some small way I'm letting that alcoholic voice win and I'm not being COMPLETELY honest with myself and others. Kind of taking the seriousness of sobriety in my life lightly and not honoring it. That's just me tho. I had to respond because it hit so close to home for me! I hope it all works out for you and we will be here to encourage and support you no matter what you do with your date!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

meblonde - I apologize if you took what I said as you personally were weak, I just think it is weak to set a date to stop when you are already stopped. This just sounds kind of like a game to me, and that doesn't site well with me.

I wish anyone who has to battle with alcohol the gift of sobriety, and I hope that you find it sooner than later, that's all.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been drinking 30 some years. I know my drinking habits
pretty well. I couldn't have a sip. Seriously. If I planned
a sip for any date it would be a damn big sip/sip/sip/sip...etc.

I sincerely hope it works for you. We're all differnt.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So lemme get this straight, you have already quit drinking, and because that quit date wasn't a good day your gonna go back out, drink again, or have a "sip" so you can quit on November 11th???
Ahh the insanity of addiction lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Revielle1980 View Post
So lemme get this straight, you have already quit drinking, and because that quit date wasn't a good day your gonna go back out, drink again, or have a "sip" so you can quit on November 11th???
Ahh the insanity of addiction lol.
yep you got it right!!! LOL..
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For some of us, sobriety isn't a game.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

With my luck, something really bad would happen on 1-1-11 and I'd then be forced by cruel circumstance to wait until 2-2-22 for another tres cool sobriety date.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

langkah..thats hilarious..we must have the same luck.

I've only been sober a few days..but those few days
are important. But not more important than today.

Today was a good day being sober.