Notices

Sober 3 days, with foot cramps - are they permanent?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sober 3 days, with foot cramps - are they permanent?

Hello all.

I drank pretty heavily (about 1/2 pint of vodka or whiskey every day) for about two years. I was sober for 40 days this past July. Now I'm trying again.

For the past two nights (my first two sober nights), around midnight, I have gotten a cramp in the base of my left foot. So far the cramps have been fairly mild, but have lasted as long as an hour. Before this, I have never had a cramp.

I have committed the unfortunate act of self-diagnosing on the Internet, and it seems that I may have alcoholic neuropathy, nerve damage that is often permanent. This is a scary prospect.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it possible that my withdrawal symptoms simply haven't peaked yet, and the cramps will subside later?

Thanks to everyone for listening.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nooz are you hydrating and taking vitamins? Muscle cramps could be caused by many different things, some as simple as dehydration.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drink moderate amounts of water. Just started taking a multi-vitamin yesterday. My diet is fairly poor.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noozgroop View Post
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it possible that my withdrawal symptoms simply haven't peaked yet, and the cramps will subside later?
I haven't personally but I'm sure others have felt muscle cramps etc. during their first days of detox.

If you start to feel poorly, you should see a doctor. But yes in my experience (and reading others') it's completely possible that your withdrawal symptoms haven't stopped yet. Your body is going through a physical process of flushing out toxins, and aches and pains are expected to be a part of that.

Self-diagnosis on the net can get my head spinning, too -- so I understand that.

I don't want to dissuade you from seeing a doctor -- it can't hurt -- but I wouldn't be too alarmed about mild muscle cramps in the first few days.

Others may have more specific advice. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
I haven't personally but I'm sure others have felt muscle cramps etc. during their first days of detox.

If you start to feel poorly, you should see a doctor. But yes in my experience (and reading others') it's completely possible that your withdrawal symptoms haven't stopped yet. Your body is going through a physical process of flushing out toxins, and aches and pains are expected to be a part of that.

Self-diagnosis on the net can get my head spinning, too -- so I understand that.

I don't want to dissuade you from seeing a doctor -- it can't hurt -- but I wouldn't be too alarmed about mild muscle cramps in the first few days.

Others may have more specific advice. Good luck!
Thank you.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe try drinking more water (suggested by most health sites is 8 to 10 cups a day). Plus if your body is missing potassium and calcium you can also get cramps.
I don't know if that still applies with sobering up but I know it applies in normal healthy adults.
I used to get cramps all the time when I was really big into fitness so I made sure to eat potatoes or bananas (potatoes are better though, they have more potassium).

Still though, I'm no doctor and I am MOST DEFINITELY not an expert by any means so I'd say make an appt with your doctor.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, please do talk to your dr.

This could be caused by many things and we just don't know.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

see a doctor.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome noozgroop

Like others have said there are many possible reasons for cramp - most of them are quite run of the mill and a lot more likely than alcoholic neuropathy IMO

Personally I wouldn't worry about Dr Google - see your real Dr if you're worried

D
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had cramps in my hands and feet when I quit. They went away in a week.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here I also had cramps on my fingers and legs....I even felt cramps on my head....the ones on my head were mild but I know they were craps. Pretty scary! I'm on day 9 and there pretty much gone. Thank you for reminding me of what I went threw! It allows me to maintain sober even if it's just for today..............Only for today I will remain sober.....we can do this one day at a time!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the comments from everyone.

Last night was my fifth night of sobriety. The cramps have shifted to my right foot and lower leg, now with some numbness involved. The cramps seem to be getting slightly milder.

My doctor says that cramps following alcohol withdrawal are unusual, and that after 7-10 days I should consider seeing a neurologist.

Oddly, the symptoms invariably appear around midnight every night, often within 5 minutes of lying down in bed. My doctor didn't have an explanation for this.

Again, thank you very much for your comments. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have the same issue when I sleep and sometimes in the day. Happens every time I stop for over 24 hours. It comes on sudden but stretching my toes towards my shin and breathing deeply usually helps but it comes back often! Hurts a lot!!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome BaiL

D
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Magnesium.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wouldn't see a doctor for cramps. Drink more water than you think you need and eat some bananas.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Same!

Originally Posted by noozgroop View Post
Thank you.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?
I had the Exact same symptom. Cramping in the left foot toes. CALCIUM! Milk and bananas.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome am

D
Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As mentioned previously, electrolytes can help muscle cramps at night. Those are magnesium, sodium, calcium, and potassium. So, bananas, avocado, calcium rich foods, and maybe an epsom salt soak might help.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Agree with others.. hydrate and basic nutrition (veggies/fruit).. I used to get foot and calf cramps, haven't had one in quite a while.

I drink plenty of water now, eat well and also take a simple multi and B vitamin and a calcium tablet (with my breakfast).

Like someone mentioned, you can also pull them out (gently). I do it when I first feel it coming on.