Notices

Starting Again

Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Again

Today is my first day posting and about my tenth time of trying to leave alcohol behind me. I did not start drinking until almost 40 but quickly drank too much and too often. In 1998 I began two successful years of sobriety but then convinced myself I could drink normally after seeing a feature on moderate and measured drinking. Well that was just not true for me and probably not for any alcoholic. Now that I have retired, there is so much more time to drink and the physical price now seems so much higher.

I want to feel better, think more clearly and get rid of this chain around my body and soul. I hope that communicating honestly in the supportive forum will keep me taking steps forward each day and that I won't pick up that first drink today.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and congratulations on your decision. You'll find lots of advice and support here.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Austen!

This place has been a real help for me, I hope it is for you too

AoS
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Austen,
welcome to SR. Time on our hands can really be one of the hardest things. But if you want to think more clearly and be productive then those a huge reasons to stay away from alcohol - it just keeps you stagnant. I'm finding it is really good to keep myself busy - I've been writing a lot of music (im a musician), going to the gym, seeing old friends, going on walks, etc.... just being busy. I wish you all the best and there is always SR to help fill your time
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Austen, welcome and congrats on your intention to become and stay sober! I have no doubt that in time it will greatly increase your enjoyment of retirement.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Words of Support

Before retirement, all routines were more or less imposed from the outside in. School, children,work...then more work. Developing a new routine to stay busy is a critical part of recovery for me and a difficult one. I am taking some classes which I love and trying to force the exercise.

Thanks again for the advice. I hope to be here for a long time.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Austen, I'm also in that struggle but trying to think positive. Life will get better...I'm on day #9...............the thought of drinking are still there but I'm not giving in......No drinking for me for now.....We can do this Austen............sure we can!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Now that you are retired you have more time on your hands and probably a few bucks in your wallet, a dangerous combination for an alcoholic. Have you thought about AA? There are meetings everyday and you will meet a bunch of people working to stay sober. I know several guys in AA that have learned it's possible to fish and play golf with other guys without a beer in their hand.

There is also a story in the Big Book about a guy who didn't start drinking until he retired, then it was full speed ahead to alcoholism. Interesting read.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Austen!

Welcome and good luck! While you may feel like an old fogy here sometimes with all the 20 somethings and teens here, there are many older than you and me here. I am also retired for the 4th time at 57. I am now 59 with a year sober. I know exactly what you mean. I went from none till after 5 even though that was 12 or more until midnight, to starting with shots in my wake up coffee. You can click on my name and go read some threads along the way. Not that they are any better than another's but they are in the same age group.

It is way too easy to be self indulgent after retiring.

But we sure can't afford any more damage to our poor bodies at our age. When I quit I really feel I was about to miss my next Birthday, instead of gaining a second Birthday in AA as well.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Austen

You'll find a lot of support here.

I had to retire from my career early due to health issues, I became housebound and what was already a very heavy drinking pattern almost imperceptibly became a daily one...

so I'm glad you're here and aware of those kinds of dangers
Welcome to SR!
D
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. Congrats on choosing a sober lifestyle. Living sober really rocks!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Austen!

Glad you've decided to get sober. Don't hesitate to see a doctor if you think there's a chance of bad withdrawal symptoms.

I started feeling good on day 3-4. It was great to feel less anxious and depressed...... and I promise you won't miss the hangovers!

All the best.......
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Austen

You've come to a great place...and a great first step in your "retirement" from drinking.

You can do it!