Notices

I don't drink often but when i do........

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I don't drink often but when i do........

Hi Guys

I joined this forum because I have been thinking about throwing in the towel on drinking for good for a long time. Im 29 now and have been binge drinking since 16. Sometimes heavier than others, more and more im finding these days when I drink i get so out of it. every single time I do something I regret (often it is indulging in other drugs eg Meth which I would never do sober)

I'm just fed at not being able to have a couple of beers and call it a night. I always intend on doing that but next thing ya know I'm drunk doing drugs or sleeping around. I just want to get off this wagon before the wheels really fall off.

On the face of it I would not think my situation is an alcoholic I mean i can go several weeks without drinking it's just i normally finally get tempted to drink and im off again...

In my career of drinking I have had car accidents, twice woke up miles from where i had started drinking with no recollection of getting there, committed silly crimes and engaged in dangerous 'jackass' behaviour.

I'm scared of what might happen if my style of drinking continues so I hope to find some support here and give some support where possible.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. If you aren't an alcoholic, then it won't be any problem for you to quit drinking. The condition isn't defined by how long you go between drinks...it is defined by what happens when you drink. For you, bad things seem to happen. Seems to me you are pulling the plug on such behavior just in time.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks doggonecarl. Yeah i don't know how to class someone as an alcholic i think i'd call alcohol my kryptonite when i come into contact with it bad things happen. It's a catalyst for disaster. On the other hand i am concerned that several attempts to quit only every last 2 or 3 weeks
Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

wow. I know i'm an alcoholic, yet those things never happened to me.....

try not drinking 90 days!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you recognize that you need to stop drinking.

You said that quitting only lasts you 2 to 3 weeks. Try to remember that drinking is a symptom. So, stopping the drinking is the beginning, but you still need to deal with the underlying issues as to why you drink. That's the key to recovery and how you will be able to stop and not go back to drinking.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Try giving it up completely for three months and see how you feel about it. If it's a real struggle to not drink maybe your problem is worse than you thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how u feel, i can go a week or 2weeks without drinking. but when i drink i cant stop its like i get sober the more i drink. The worst is the emotional roller coaster that alcohol puts you thru. i hate the feeling of being depressed/suicidal after the day i drink. thats been my motivation to stop besides everyone saying i drink too much. Im from a zimbabwe and i wish there was more help this side to deal with such issues. The website is a step in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome kredit

sometimes I think it's easier to step around the question of 'alcoholic or not' - your drinking is obviously causing you problems, it's not something you want to continue to do...so the question really boils down to what are you going to do about it

Welcome to you too lavida - you'll both find a lot of support here
D
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Kredit - good for you for wanting to stop drinking. I think we can all relate to not being able to stop (or not wanting to) once we have a drink or two.

A lot of people think alcoholics are down and out, but that's really only at the end. There are actually many stages...... the problem is that most of us don't stop in the early stage, before we have consequences.

Glad you're here!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I totally hear you kredit, alcohol makes me do things I would never even consider doing when sober. It's like a jekly and hyde situation. Like you, I can go for months without drinking but when I go out I notice I drink more (and faster) then everyone else. Or I'll say I'll only have 2 glasses of wine and then the bottle is empty. In my periods of not drinking, I noticed that the cravings really do subside. Yet if I have one night of drinking, I have cravings for the next 2 days. I have tried to moderate and it doesn't work for me. That's not my personality in any area of my life. I'm all or nothing. I am starting this journey but focusing on 1 days at a time. I will take classes as the gym and work and on weekends, I'm going to have to find some "sober activties" YOu can get past that 2-3 week mark. Anyone can do anything for 30 days right Good luck and hope you're having a relaxing evening