Notices

Appetite

Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Appetite

Hi everyone. Just have a question about appetite. It used to be that when I would drink, I would eat junk, just like many of you I suppose based on the posts. In the last year, I've been trying to quit drinking, I do well for a while, then fall off the wagon again. However, one thing that has remained consistent is that my appetite has gone away. When I drink, I can eat, but just a small meal and that's about it. When I am not drinking, I have no desire to eat..I can go for days without cravings for food even when my stomach is hurting me. It's so weird. On top of all this, my sweet tooth has completely gone...the only time I have something sweet is if everyone goes for ice cream and I almost have to get something...even then I try to share with my gf and/or just have 2 bites.

If anyone has similar experiences I would love to hear about it. It's just getting to the point where I have no interest in eating food and I'm getting tired and possibly depriving my body of vitamins/nutrients it needs. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

my appetite was all over the place when I was drinking...it took a little time for things to get back to normal once I was sober - not just on and off drinking.

How long have you been sober now, 4mymel?
If it's been a while, you may want to get checked out - it could be anything really

D
Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, not long, or not at all. I'm cutting back now, to quit come the new year. I'm focusing on getting a support system and a plan right now. I have so much going on right now that it's hard to focus on recovery...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I hate when I lose my appetite, that makes me feel a lot worse. I've started to keep little things around to eat (every two hours) even if I have to force myself; Granola bars, fruit, vitamins and such. Overall I am eating much better now than I have in many years, I use to eat one meal then get drunk right afterwards (daily cycle).
Hope yours gets better.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

My appetite was gone by the end of my drinking. I forced down what food I could but eventually I just gave up and was eating nothing at all. I wasn't even drinking all that much either (alcohol, I mean).

Turns out I had severe anemia and was admitted into the hospital for a blood transfusion. My blood levels were so out of whack, docs couldn't believe I was still standing. Docs were not sure if the anemia caused the lack of appetite or if I was bleeding somewhere internally (alcohol can cause this and it can be fatal) and that's why I had anemia and loss of appetite. It doesn't really matter - either way, my health was in danger and I got medical help just in time.

I really hope you will see a doc, be honest about what's been going on and have your blood checked. I wouldn't mess around with this.

Much love.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I had lost my appetite the last months of my drinking, too. It was definitely a sign of how sick I was. If I were you, I wouldn't wait until the new year to stop drinking. It would be a good idea to talk to your dr and then work on your recovery.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why wait til the new year to improve your life and your health? No time like the present. And if you quit now, nothing bad related to drinking will happen to you.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Least, Jan 1 is a long way off and you may end up throwing those plans out the window. Why not start now? We can help you.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had to reteach my body & mind a normal routine for everything. I was that sick. no appetite is serious.

best wishes,
Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, I'm cutting back always lead to drinking more "just because of x" until tomorrow.

I couldn't eat either at the end. Honestly, you need nutrients to help cut down on and get rid of the booze-- your brain needs it! Try pedalight, or ensure. It's pretty easy to get down and will keep you hydrated. Personally, I feel a lot more depressed when my brain doesn't have the nutrients it needs to function.

Good luck! (Oh and bananans and peanut butter are a good option too)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I've tried quitting before and it requires a lot of time in the beginning, at least for me. I don't know that I can put that time in right now. I'm being pulled in 15 different directions with work, school and home...all of which will be gone come January.

Oh well. I went to the doc, everything is fine. I'll go do the blood work which I haven't done yet, and go from there.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Titanium

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
Hi everyone. Just have a question about appetite. It used to be that when I would drink, I would eat junk, just like many of you I suppose based on the posts. In the last year, I've been trying to quit drinking, I do well for a while, then fall off the wagon again. However, one thing that has remained consistent is that my appetite has gone away. When I drink, I can eat, but just a small meal and that's about it. When I am not drinking, I have no desire to eat..I can go for days without cravings for food even when my stomach is hurting me. It's so weird. On top of all this, my sweet tooth has completely gone...the only time I have something sweet is if everyone goes for ice cream and I almost have to get something...even then I try to share with my gf and/or just have 2 bites.

If anyone has similar experiences I would love to hear about it. It's just getting to the point where I have no interest in eating food and I'm getting tired and possibly depriving my body of vitamins/nutrients it needs. Thanks.
that's early recovery energy level fluctuation, mood fluctuations, appetite fluctuations. nothing to be too concerned with.

make sure to take multivitamins though
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with what others have said, 4myMel. Were you open with your doctor about your drinking habits? You haven't indicated how much you are still drinking but loss of appetite and inability to eat can be a dangerous sign. I would strongly consider moving up your sober date. Your body could be sending you a very loud alarm.