Notices

dependency, addiction or none?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dependency, addiction or none?

Hello all who read this.

I am new to this site. I wouldgreatly appreciate any and all feed back.

My history.

Donated a kidney August of 2010. On 10 mg of percocet for 3 months after surgery. Stopped with no problem I can remember.

4 months ago hurt shoulder and given percocet for pain, due to the fact I can not take ibuprophen. Took 5 mg daily for a month and a half.

September 1 was in the hospital for a severe case of shigella food poisoning acquired on a trip to Mexico. In hospital for 4 days. Diagnosed with reactive RA that can last up to 5 years. Was given percocet for pain by hospital then my PCP.

At the most I would drink 2 pills a day. All percocet mentioned above were 5/325. Even though I still have the pain, I am afraid to keep drinking the pills, which were changed to the 5 mg pill without tylenol, because I am afraid I was getting addicted to them. I never ran out of pills and would never buy any off the streets. I have 2 brothers and 1 sister who are extremely addicted, and I feared I was heading down the same road. I am a cocaine addict that has been clean for 13 years, so I know how bad addictions can be.

I guess the question is can you get addicted to a dose of 10 mg per day and if so, how long will the withdrawal symptoms last. My legs are still killing me from the RA, but I am at a crossroads as to what to do. My wife says I should drink the pills so I can live a close to normal life, but my mind says no.

On day 3 with no pills and anxiety is about gone. Don't know how to proceed.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome!

Unfortunately, we can't give any kind of medical advice.

Your best option is to talk to your dr.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

As Anna says, we can't give medical advice.

Have you spoken with your Doc about your concerns? That's what I would suggest.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome azbroncofan!

It sounds like you're doing the wise thing in being proactive about the potential for addiction. We have a section on substance abuse here on the forum, where you can find additional support:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I hope you get some answers!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would definitely speak open and frankly to your Dr - let him or her know that you're concerned

Welcome

D
Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it is what it is

Today is the start of day 10 with no pills. I can tell you that those who think 10mg daily is not a problem, are completely false. 13 years ago I kicked a 1/2 ounce a day cocaine habit. I was sick for 3 days and then better immediately after that. Not this time, with this drug. I never took more than 2 (5mg) pills a day, even though my script said up to 8 per day. Even at that dose, I was put thru the ringer

I must say one thing, it is extremely discouraging that people who are concerned about a possible addiction and get the courage to ask on this site for input, get 4 replies. 2 of which say nothing helpful. I guess if you're not drinking upwards of 80mg a day, your post is not worth the time of a reply. I can only hope that those who follow and those that have come before me, find what they need on this site

To the other 140 people who read my post, think about replying next time to someone else, you could very well be the help they so desperately seek.

May God bless you all.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry if you feel support was lacking here azbroncofan.

I hope you'll give the site a little more of a chance tho - the people here saved, and changed, my life

Maybe checking in more often might engender more response?
4 responses or not, you got some good advice here I think.

Did you follow the link to the substance abuse forum at all?
D
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It takes a lot of courage to post for the first time so welcome My brother was addicted to percocets & vicodin and I've seen him go thru the withdrawal- it was awful. I read a lot about it after that and apparently opiates are one of the toughest things to kick but possible, as my brother is clean today I'm glad to hear your anxiety is almost gone, sounds like a good start to me!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I must say one thing, it is extremely discouraging that people who are concerned about a possible addiction and get the courage to ask on this site for input, get 4 replies. 2 of which say nothing helpful. I guess if you're not drinking upwards of 80mg a day, your post is not worth the time of a reply.
It seems that you're upset at not getting any useful answers. We can't give medical advice here! It's in the rules and it would do no good anyway as no one, doctor or not, can diagnose you over the net. Telling you to see a doctor is perfectly good advice as only a doctor can help you with medical issues.