Notices

My husband has joined me...and a question

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My husband has joined me...and a question

Although he still drinks, he no longer is drinking during the week. And he's cut back dramatically how much he drinks on the weekends. He says he feels so much better. He also complimented me for my increased time running, taking better care of the house and all that stuff that drinking was keeping me from feeling motivated to do. Although his drinking isn't an issue for me (it doesn't make me want to drink anymore than I might otherwise) it's nice to have his support.

He also reminded me that I've *always* been irritable at about 4 to 7pm at night. Ever since I've known him (that would be for 21 years) which predates the daily drinking and even antidepressants. So, I've clearly been using alcohol to cover up a major daily mood dip that the antidepressants haven't been touching. Late day exercise does help, but it's not always something that I can do if the kids are with me. This is my danger zone and I need to find something that can help me deal with it. I'll talk to my doctor about medication, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience and what they are doing about it. According to what my husband has observed, it's not PAWS. I think it's just my normal chemistry. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This may be an obvious question, but are you hungry at that time? I become an absolute beast when I am hungry. Sometimes I don't even realize that I haven't eaten, but my husband will know by the way I'm acting. He actually brought this to my attention. Are you having an energy dip after exercise because you need some sugar/energy intake?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cardio View Post
Although he still drinks, he no longer is drinking during the week. And he's cut back dramatically how much he drinks on the weekends. He says he feels so much better. He also complimented me for my increased time running, taking better care of the house and all that stuff that drinking was keeping me from feeling motivated to do. Although his drinking isn't an issue for me (it doesn't make me want to drink anymore than I might otherwise) it's nice to have his support.

He also reminded me that I've *always* been irritable at about 4 to 7pm at night. Ever since I've known him (that would be for 21 years) which predates the daily drinking and even antidepressants. So, I've clearly been using alcohol to cover up a major daily mood dip that the antidepressants haven't been touching. Late day exercise does help, but it's not always something that I can do if the kids are with me. This is my danger zone and I need to find something that can help me deal with it. I'll talk to my doctor about medication, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience and what they are doing about it. According to what my husband has observed, it's not PAWS. I think it's just my normal chemistry. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
OMG Cardio, this is me! I'm always very irritable and tend to strike out at people easily between about 5pm to 7 or so. This is the time that I tend to reach for a drink really fast so it's during this time that I really try to make sure I'm OUT of the house and no where near alcohol! Now I can't really give you advice on what I do because right now I practice "evasive maneuvers". LOL As long as I'm out of the house during that time period I'm good. If I'm in the house then I work myself like crazy so I don't have a moment to ponder how good a drink would be at this moment. LOL I'm only at the beginning though so maybe as time goes on I'll get better at knocking this monkey off my back.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that was always and still is the time of the day when my energy dips.

I always make sure that I have something to eat at that time and it helps a lot.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm laughing at "evasive maneuvers"! Munchkin I'll let you know if I find something that works consistently!

I don't have an energy dip after exercise. The irritability I feel decreases dramatically after exercise which makes me think that it has something to do with my endorphin level. Its weird. The irritability is almost painful--it's like someone shot me up with some kind of *physical* irritant into my bloodstream. So it makes sense to me that the release of endorphins would block some of that feeling--which seems like pain. But I *can't* always time my runs to help with this. Hence my question.

I'm not sure that it's about eating, but I'll see if it helps to have some protein. Typically I feed my kids a snack when they come home, so I'll make sure I have one too. It can't hurt. Can only help!

What other things have people tried? Maybe I'll ask this question in the mental health section. I'm pretty sure this is tied to depression and anxiety.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cardio,

What time of day do you normally run/exercise?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same here Cardio.
If I do not go to the gym in the evening then I feel antsy, angry, irritable, upset, frustrated, etc.
As soon as I get to the gym and start to work out whether its on the bike or the elliptical or lifting weights then the feeling subsides and does not come back till the next afternoon.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Munchkin that's very interesting. I actually need the sustained run to do it. Just doing core work or weights doesn't seem to give me the lift.

Aegian my schedule totally depends...
Mondays 11am after working out at the gym
Tuesdays at 10:00am with my running coach and/or short run at 5pm when kids are at karate
Wednesday 2:30pm or rest day
Thursday 11am after the gym or 5pm when kids are at karate
Friday 5pm
Saturday late afternoon or it's a rest day
Sunday anywhere between 2 to 5pm unless I have a race that morning

And, of course, something always comes up to screw up my schedule. I.e. I had to have a cortisone shot in my shoulder yesterday because I have bursitis. I couldn't run yesterday and couldn't go to the gym today because of it. But I'll run tonight while the kids are in karate as long as the ibuprofen keeps the soreness down.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish I could run. I was born with bad knees that became really bad when I was 16 after so many years of dance and running. My surgeon told me a while ago, no running unless being chased by a bear! LOL :p
I'm stuck with anything low impact. I CAN run in the pool though which is always fun!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by Cardio View Post

This is me too.. I feel a need for a drink when it is just about time from my hubby to come home.. " in the evening" funny.. we have a lake site and when I am there in the summer and he isn't I go many days without a drink.. It's like I need to calm down before he even get home... strange thing.. but sometime just putting something in my hands that is non-alcoholic helps,, just to sip on.. herb tea is nice..
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cardio,

I asked because of the endorphin rush. Is it possible that the endorphii your body is used to are wearing off by the end of the day? No idea on how to fix that given life's busy schedule - it was just something that hit me. I get that sugar low/lack of endorphin funk late afternoons some times. I am at no where near your level of physical activity, but changed from the afternoon coffee to a fast afternoon walk and that helped. Any way of adding a 15 minute pickmeup routine late afternoon to see if that helps?

Good luck and congrats on staying sober!!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's a good idea Aegian. Tonight was a perfect example of best laid plans going wrong: it was not only raining during karate but it started to SNOW. I don't mind running in the dark or the rain. But not the dark, rain AND snow.

But what I could have done was a quick 15 min cardio routine using the boscu ball in my living room. I'll try that next time and see if it gives me a lift. Like I said before about food, it can't hurt.

My kids are insane when they come home. I'm realizing that some of the anxiety I feel is actually justified! But being pre-disposed to it probably makes it feel alot worse and out of proportion to the situation.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Meblonde I drink herb tea too--with an enormous dollop of honey in it It does help.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
I wish I could run. I was born with bad knees that became really bad when I was 16 after so many years of dance and running. My surgeon told me a while ago, no running unless being chased by a bear! LOL :p
I'm stuck with anything low impact. I CAN run in the pool though which is always fun!
That stinks! But I'm glad you can run in the pool. That must feel great!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Snow!? Please tell me you live in the Yukon.

I'm not ready for snow. LOL!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not exercise or do a physical activity with the kids?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oooh where is the snow??? I heard a magic word! As it stands we're supposed to get snow this weekend and I'm so STOKED!
I SO miss the snow in Alaska!
Cardio,
Yeah, I love working out in the pool. You work ten times harder in water than you do on land! Try doing jumping jacks for 15 minutes straight in mid chest high water. TOUGH!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, that's a great idea. I was thinking of maybe setting up "stations" for them (i.e. sit ups, jumping jacks, etc.). It might work. It's hard to say. At least it would be a focused activity. Not sure how much exercise *I'd* actually get lol. But my goal is to decrease irritability and anxiety and having them focused might help *me*.

Our routine is that they (3 boys, 10, 8 and 6) come home from school and need to make their beds and start their homework before they can do any kind of electronics. They can play for awhile (i.e. legos or whatever). But they often end up rolling around like puppies. Its natural for them to want to get out that energy. But it's not always so safe. I can't even tell you how many times we've been to the ER for stitches, broken bones, etc. Seriously.

Once they are done (and if we aren't going to karate) they can watch t.v. or play a computer game. For some kids, exercise calms them down. For my three monkeys? It makes them *more* hyper. But I'll try it to see if it works for all of us. Having me involved and having it focused might be just the thing.

My 10 year old has expressed interest in running with me and I'd love to do that with him. But, that won't work for the other two, and I've found that having them on bikes while I run is a bit tricky (hello oncoming cars!).

Munchkin I might have to try running or doing jumping jacks in the pool while my kids are having swim lessons. Never occurred to me! I can't swim well because I have bursitis in my shoulder (currently being treated, but it makes swimming painful).

Anyway, thank you ALL for thinking this through. It really helps! As for the snow, Aegian, I live in New England. Our weather is always unpredictable. It's already warmed up and it will be even warmer this weekend.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cardio,
Thankfully I can swim really well but that's using all upper body. I have a hard time really kicking hard due to knee surgeries I have had.