Notices

Depression

Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Depression

Hello I wanted to get some thought on Depression. I'm 4 months sober from alcohol now. Some days I wake up in a bad mood and just really depressed. On those days I don't wanna get up or do anything. I feel ran down and have no energy. You just feel blah and have no idea why, and then the next day I go back to feeling fine.

Can anyone relate to this ???
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely normal. I see a therapist for it.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I was like that for quite awhile - maybe even 6 mos. (Wish I'd kept a diary.) I remember being thankful to be sober, but kind of in a state of shock some days. We have so much healing to do, I guess it's not surprising.

Congratulations on your 4 hard-earned months, bigguy! You're doing great, so proud of you.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

See a Doctor or Physician about depression you don't have to put up with it. I did and have cured the depression as best as I can and you can too, just reach out.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bigguyslim,

I am 5 months sober and I sure can relate to what you say and it is a problem in that it makes me want to drink again but it does come in cycles as you pointed out with yourself. I think getting out and doing stuff really does help, I make myself do things or I have to do things and I feel a lot better for it.

I do notice though the the downers are not as bad as when I was drinking, I hold on to that thought. Today is a good day I am getting ready to go to a meeting 3 hours away.

BGS hang in there, I believe it does get better.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to this. The best thing I ever did about it was to talk to my doctor. She helped me find what worked (in my case, some meds and therapy). I think it's common for the drinking to sometimes cover up the depression or other issues. Then when you take the alcohol out of the equation, the other things are still there for you to deal with and they're maybe a little more obvious. As far as some days being good and some being bad, there are all kinds of variations on depression depending on how often and when it kicks in. Only you can tell if it's different from just being in a bad mood sometimes. Don't be afraid to talk to your doc about it. They've heard everything before, and they have a lot of ways to help you feel better.

Good luck, and congrats on 4 months. How awesome is that!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to get though this without meds so bad. Someday's I feel like I can and then I have a day like today. I'm trying to give it time.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate, things are really so much better at 8 months, but it's been a roller coster ride for sure, no meds here but I guess it's not a bad idea.

I am pretty much waking up happy but still getting moody (angry) when I get my feelings hurt, a work in progress but my wife and kids say I am 1000 fold better.

Congrats on the 4 months, thats awsome!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
I'm trying to get though this without meds so bad.
I tried that also very hard when I got sober, but in the end my sponsor helped me realise I was suffering for no reason. I'd take a painkiller if I had a toothache, so not taking medication for depression was just silly.

And after years of taking anti-depressants while drinking, I can personally testify to the fact that they are so much more effective when you are sober. They aren't a magic silver bullet, but they are helping me to cope with early sobriety (I'm also at around four months).

It's a personal choice, but there is nothing wrong with taking meds for depression and there are many modern anti-deps that don't cause other unpleasant side effects.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to get though this without meds so bad. Someday's I feel like I can and then I have a day like today. I'm trying to give it time.
Research natural helps for depression? A different diet? I know some that have tried herbs/natural remedies or different diets/routines with much success. Google is my best friend

Congrats on 4 months sober!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us go a little anti drug when we get clean and sober - which is understandable, but I wonder if that black and white attitude can sometimes be counter productive too?

My depression is OK now but I have other various, physical, ailments - when they act up too much, I need medication to help me maintain my independence and quality of life.

As I see it, it's not like the old days - I'm not taking anything to get high or avoid reality - I'm accepting some help because I'm dealing with reality, not running away from it....

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-26-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm trying to get though this without meds

I owe my life to taking antidepressants. Seriously. I was severely depressed, suicidal, and anxious, and now that I'm sober my antiDs work very well and keep me on an even keel.

Try non medical ways of dealing with depression first: exercise, counseling, etc. But don't rule out meds altogether - they can be lifesaving for serious depression. If all else fails, ask your doctor about meds for depression. I owe my life to my meds.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankfully I find my depression lifting however I'm more moody now a days and tend to lose my temper very easily, sadly enough mostly with my son.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on 4 months BigGuy! That's brilliant to hear.

I'm nowhere near that mark but I've also been up and down like a yo-yo and having mood swings. The last week has been great but at other times I've been really miserable, moody and anxious which really surprised me as I thought I'd be feeling better and better the more healthier I became. I actually relapsed after a week or so of feeling really down but learned from that slip by reading more about other people's similar experiences. From what people say, it seems normal to feel flat at times so I try and plan for that as well. More talking, more posting, more exercise. Perhaps more chocolate...
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took Effexor XR back in 2008, but was drinking at the time. I might have to try it out again now that i'm sober. I guess it's worth a shot. I'm tired of feeling tired and ran down for no reason.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can certainly relate, I have depression whether I drink or not. It's hard to live with. I have days too when I don't want to get out of bed, but I have to and I'm like a robot all day, just going through the motions. I was on medication a couple times but it causes major weight gain which just added to the depression. Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon. Congrats on the sober time, that is awesome.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months. I have about the same amount of sober time and I have noticed some depression. Same thing you describe tho, some days I'm good, others I don't want to leave my bed. Severe lack of motivation a lot of days. It seems to be getting worse so I went to my doctor today and she prescribed meds. She said it may be just a temporary thing. I was just sick of feeling blah. We'll see how they work. I wish you luck and hope you feel better soon.