Notices

Trading one addiction for another

Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Trading one addiction for another

Okay, so here's another thing I've been thinking about.
Previously when I gave up drinking when I found out I was pregnant with my son 6 years or so ago I stopped cold turkey. Very hard but I did it.
But soon, especially after my son was born I suddenly became a serious espresso junky. I'm talking 10 or more cups a day along with massive amounts of chocolate. Now it probably didn't help that I wasn't eating enough so maybe it was also I was just hungry. (I was breastfeeding so I needed to consume more calories which I wasn't. I lost a massive amount of weight!)

I have noticed that when I stop drinking I gravitate to other things (like caffeine).
Is this normal?
Are there ways to get AWAY from trading one addiction for another or do I just have to accept that if I stop drinking then I'll have to do something else?
Many thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's normal. I was craving chocolate and fast food and ice cream for a week after I stopped drinking. In fact, I still crave this junk, but I have tried to reign it in and just not eat it, or eat sweet fruit like grapes for "dessert" or while watching TV at night etc.

My boyfriend isn't drinking and he has the same issue with caffeine now that you do. He drinks 10 cups a day now and is trying to cut back.

While normal, I'm thinking it would be better to turn it into an "addiction" to something healthy. I am trying to eat right and work out every day. I am also addicted to sobriety ha ha... always on this site, and reading books about former alcoholics who recovered. Right now I'm reading A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill and I can't put it down... I've read half a dozen other alcoholic memoir books in the last few months too.

Yes, it's still a form of escape and I'm still being obsessive but I think it's better than drinking! Some people get addicted to AA meetings.

I would like to learn new hobbies, like tango or guitar playing or Rosetta Stone... anything to fill the time except for drinking.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
I am also addicted to sobriety ha ha... always on this site, and reading books about former alcoholics who recovered. Right now I'm reading A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill and I can't put it down... I've read half a dozen other alcoholic memoir books in the last few months too.

Good luck.
HaHa, that's why my Kindle is so awesome. I can read lots of books about former acoholics and no one at work will know what I'm reading. LOL

I come off to most as the bubbly brunette, people person, a bit too talkative but very friendly. Never the depressed, alcoholic Mom who hates her life, hates her job, etc. Never could I be the person who, a year ago was plotting the best way to die but still make sure my son and husband were taken care of. (As for the suicidal thoughts, I have managed to get myself away from that avenue)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
HaHa, that's why my Kindle is so awesome. I can read lots of books about former acoholics and no one at work will know what I'm reading. LOL

I come off to most as the bubbly brunette, people person, a bit too talkative but very friendly. Never the depressed, alcoholic Mom who hates her life, hates her job, etc. Never could I be the person who, a year ago was plotting the best way to die but still make sure my son and husband were taken care of. (As for the suicidal thoughts, I have managed to get myself away from that avenue)
I can so relate. I too have an exterior shell that looks put together and happy, and an interior chaos that is anything but. I have been reading these books on my Kindle and I love that it keeps recommending similar books for me to read! I've read Lit (which I found to be okay), Drinking: A Love Story (great!), the Glass Castle (which is partly about growing up with an alcoholic parent-- my favorite, but it's not directly about an alcoholic), Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife (not great), Parched (I think this is my favorite so far), Redeemed (the sequal to Parched- a bit too religious for me but I like the author's writing style)... I'm sure I've read more but I would have to check my Kindle.

I'm glad your suicidal thoughts have subsided. I have had some when I was very down and hungover and thought my life was miserable. I hope to never have any again. Stay strong!!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
I have been reading these books on my Kindle and I love that it keeps recommending similar books for me to read! I've read Lit (which I found to be okay), Drinking: A Love Story (great!), the Glass Castle (which is partly about growing up with an alcoholic parent-- my favorite, but it's not directly about an alcoholic), Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife (not great), Parched (I think this is my favorite so far), Redeemed (the sequal to Parched- a bit too religious for me but I like the author's writing style)... I'm sure I've read more but I would have to check my Kindle.

I'm glad your suicidal thoughts have subsided. I have had some when I was very down and hungover and thought my life was miserable. I hope to never have any again. Stay strong!!
Thanks for the heads up on the books! I'll be looking into those!
As for the suicidal thoughts, well they peep up every so often but it comes up usually as a "wouldn't it just be easier if everything would just end" rather than me actually actively PLANNING the end, ya know?

Now a days that I'm back to quitting (boy I feel like Katy Perry's song Hot and Cold)I find myself non stop addicted to candy. I just consumed a bag of skittles and my tummy feels horrible and my mouth feels like sandpaper. LOL :rotfxko
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us develop a sweet tooth in recovery - it's pretty common.

While I think it's not a worry if it's short term, I agree with pigtails that it's probably best to watch that it doesn't become a new way of life...

We have a fitness and nutrition forum - check it out, Munchkin
Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wanted to add that I feel I've gotten addicted to TV/movies and I want to replace that with more productive things, as it is also a form of escaping reality. I want to be engaged in reality and in improving my life.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Dee, I'll look it up! Thanks!