Notices

rehab? when to go

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question rehab? when to go

Has anybody been to a rehab facility without doing the detox? I'm looking at programs but all start with the detox stage. I'm a weekend binge drinker and don't think the detoxing would apply.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey -

I detoxed at home cold turkey before I went to rehab, which is dangerous and a dumb decision in hindsight. Even if you only drink on the weekend detox is an important concern, so you may want to check with your doctor. Most rehab programs will turn you away if you haven't been sober for 48 hours prior to admittance, at least that's the way it is here where I live.

Best wishes to you, rehab was the best and hardest thing that ever happened to me and I've been sober 6.5 months since then.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Harley,

How do you define "detox"?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Aegian,

All the programs I'm looking at are 'step-downs' from a detox program where they give you medication for withdrawal symptoms and monitor your reactions. I can not drink for days and do not have any withdrawal issues that I can notice. I hope going into a rehab can help me get through the next weekend and the next without drinking. I hope I'm not thinking of it as a quick fix, but I want to make sure I can stay not drinking.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was a binge drinker with very few withdrawal symptoms. Certianly didn't need medication for them.

When I decided to go to treatment .... I just went. I knew I needed it. I didn't care about the details, I was trying to survive. I was there for 28 days. I'm not sure what you mean by this weekend and next weekend and a quick fix. It isn't that for sure.

When I checked in, the doctors assessed me and did blood work. Based on that they (the medical professionals) decided what type of detox I needed. Everyone who checks in there goes to the detox ward for varying lengths. Everyone is different. I spent about 3 days there and slept the entire time. I'm not even sure I ate!

If you want to do it, just do what they say. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. It was the beginning of this journey of recovery. For me to stay stopped it requires some action from me. I didn't go to treatment and get cured. I SO wish!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Harley,

As PaperDolls said, Rehab is much more than Detox. If they determine that you don't need help with physical symptoms, they will move you to where you need to be within the program.

It is worth giving it (and them) a shot and let them determine how to best help you get started with ending the cycle.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whether or not detox applies is a medical decision that you cannot make. If you don't have any obvious or severe withdrawals, you might only be in detox for a day. More severe cases might be in detox for 10 days.

If they don't detox you and you drop over dead from withdrawals, they will get their rears sued off - this is why it begins with detox.

What is your problem with detox?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dgillz,

Good to know that a program will always start with detox, or least the possibility of it. One I called today said I didn't need the detox and that their program wasn't right for me.

I think it was just an unlucky call.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

harley - make sure you are calling a treatment center and not a detox center. If it is indeed, treatment that you are looking for.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks PaperDolls,

After more searching I found there's a variety of places out there offering help. I just have to find the right one.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

harleyq

I went to Naukeag run by McLean in Ashburnham. They only take people who are detoxed. It is a residential rehab. I'd highly recommend taking a look at their program.

sparks
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did this one

I went to Brattleboro Retreat in the PHP program. It was great. I stayed right on campus. Here is the link to the program I was in. Detox not necessary - you just have to be sober at the time you check in.

Partial Hospital Mental Health & Addiction Treatment | Brattleboro Retreat