Notices

Acupuncture to help with Addiction?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Acupuncture to help with Addiction?

Hi all,
Another question/thought occurred to me.
I'm starting to see an Acupuncturist next week. Has anyone ever tried this for addiction?
I'm only wondering because I know the TCM physician will ask me. (I've gotten Acupuncture done before and they tend to be even more thorough than the traditional medical doctors. The one in Fairbanks actually guessed that I use alcohol more than I admitted to and began "treating" me for it.)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Munchkin,

I can only speak to a friend's experience with stopping smoking. It worked for him, but he really, really wanted to quit.

That said, and I don't profess to know a thing about acupuncture, but speaking as an alcoholic, recovery is MUCH more indepth physically and psychologically than a pill or other 'cure' could fix. It will require a lifetime of learning how to be myself and how to live sober. Kick starts to that process are always good though!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had auricular (ear) acupuncture done for 'detoxification', supposedly there are many points in the inner ear (five or six for this practice) you can hit that have a subsequent reaction to organs like the liver, kidney, etc. I did it because it was offered where I was and I was really just interested in it. I probably did it a total of 5-7 times with no noticeable effects, I was also told this type of acupuncture was recommended for helping to quit smoking which also did not happen in my case. For me I think its more of 'if you believe it, it will work' type of things, but I tend to be more on the pessimistic/ realist side, and I see no real medical truth behind it. But I hope you benefit from it.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just my opinion, but I think it always comes down to your motivation. That's what makes any recovery method work.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have gotten acupuncture not necessarily to "quit" drinking, but rather to treat some other emotional/physical issues I have that lead me to abuse drinking. I really like it. I also use a few TCM formulas for the same thing. I think it can be a good part of recovery but I definitely need other stuff in addition to that. I don't think it's a magic bullet or anything.

I lived in a botanical garden that grew medicinal herbs for TCM and made formulas and I got to know a lot of practitioners and quite a few asked me if I was a heavy drinker after taking my pulse and examining me, even though I was like, top secret drinker. Of course at the time I was all "No, just a little here and there".
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Just my opinion, but I think it always comes down to your motivation. That's what makes any recovery method work.
Kind of agree. There have been times when I want NOTHING to do with alcohol any more and yet there my hand goes pouring myself yet another glass of wine.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feralheart View Post
I have gotten acupuncture not necessarily to "quit" drinking, but rather to treat some other emotional/physical issues I have that lead me to abuse drinking. I really like it. I also use a few TCM formulas for the same thing. I think it can be a good part of recovery but I definitely need other stuff in addition to that. I don't think it's a magic bullet or anything.

I lived in a botanical garden that grew medicinal herbs for TCM and made formulas and I got to know a lot of practitioners and quite a few asked me if I was a heavy drinker after taking my pulse and examining me, even though I was like, top secret drinker. Of course at the time I was all "No, just a little here and there".
Feralheart,
Too funny. I was the same. Doctors have asked me how much I consume and I usually answer "oh, just a glass or two once a week, not much". My acupuncturist in Fairbanks saw right through it and told me she was treating me for depression and addiction. LOL
I do agree, it's not exactly a MAGIC bullet but I figure any little extra thing on my side to help can't hurt!