Notices

Can a weekend drinker have withdrawal?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can a weekend drinker have withdrawal?

Im wondering if you can experience alcohol withdraw if you only drink on the weekends. I already know I have a problem and will be in a recovery program soon due to a dui. Basically I dont drink throughout the week monday through thursday, but then get hammered almost every friday, saturday and most sundays. Like probably 8-15 beers. I usually feel like crap on monday but then feel better as the week goes on. So it normally doesnt bother me too much

The thing thats really worrying me right now is when ive woke up the past couple days (after nights of heavy drinking) Ive basically felt like there is something wrong with my heart/bloodflow. I keep getting tight feelings in my chest. It seems like my hands and arms go to sleep easily if im laying on them wrong. Also it just seems like anywhere I touch on my body I can feel my my heart pounding through my bloodstream. I looked up alcohol withdraw symptoms and it said something about rapid heartbeat, anxiety, high blood pressure.

So ive basically the past few days ive started drinking to try and make myself forget about this and not just lay around freaking out thinking im about to have a heart attack.

Anyway my main question is if I could experience these withdraw symptoms if im a heavy weekend only drinker?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, of course you can.

Alcoholics don't necessarily drink every day. The disease is more about what happens to you when you drink.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, you can have withdrawals when only drinking on weekends. Please go to the ER or call 911 if you feel that again. Alcohol withdrawal can cause strokes and heart attacks and it's nothing to mess around with. It would be a good idea for you to see your doctor and tell them about your drinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sure can. Withdrawal is the flipside to intoxication.

Some good advice here That1Guy - see your Dr or some other physician - it's best to be safe.

D
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you don't give any details like your weight, age, and physical condition...but the DUI might be your wake up call. I will chime in and tell you that alcoholism is progressive. pretty soon you might be making that weekend binge start on thursday and stretch out until Monday.

your pounding elavated HR, racy pulse and chest heaviness should be told to your doctor ASAP....you need a better DX then this website, besides we are not supposed to give medical advice...but it sounds like HTN to me. what's your diet like? do you smoke? all are contributing factors to your general health....along with the bingeing.

i hope you call your doc. tomorrow am.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go to your Doc and tell them what you're dealing with. The symptoms could well be anxiety but could be far more serious. Decision for a med professional to make! Also be totally honest with your doc about binge drinking, having all the facts makes their job much easier and safer for you. Best of luck in your recovery.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in a situation very similiar to yours before I quit three weeks ago.
I binged on the weekends and that would sometimes carry over into Monday and felt like hell the beginning of the week.
I drank vodka and a lot of it.
I was very concerned about withdrawal symptoms but got through with just anxiety issues and a week of crappy sleep.
This is just how it was for me, if your having chest pains that can be serious.
I'd play it safe and do like others have said and see a Dr.
Best of luck!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your fast responses. I will definatly be calling a doctor tommorow.

Im 23 yrs old and stubborn as hell. Ive been arrested twice for underage poss. of alcohol and just got my 2nd dui a month ago. I think ive talked my self into thinking my drinking isnt a problem becasue I have been fighting pain pill addiction for the past 4 yrs or so. If i couldnt get my hands on pain pills id go for adderol, xanax, basically anything I could get my hands on. I always said I wouldnt mess with crack, meth, heroin, etc. But ive basically been doing the same thing in a pill. It seems everytime I quit taking pills I substitute with alcohol. Im really just now starting to realize that I need to stop everything altogether.

I do smoke cigs and im 6' tall weighing only 135 lbs or so. I think I take my bac level to dangerous levels everytime I drink since im so skinny but yet still drink just as much as anyone I know.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anyone can get withdrawal from alcohol if they stop drinking for sometime. It does not matter if they're an alcoholic, problem drinker or social drinker.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My brother fights pain pill addiction and is currently in jail for his 3rd DUI. He's over 30 years old and still hasn't learned. Signing up here and posting is a great sign that you're ready to move forward with your life and you're still young so you can easily change your life still. I use to smoke, I believe I started when I was 19 or 20 and quit at the age of 25 with the help of Allen Carr. I'm only 27 but I've learned a lot in my life and alcohol was the most stubborn addiction I've ever had.

I hope you stop being stubborn at least for one day and call the doctor like you said you would, you have a long life ahead of you, don't waste it on drugs and alcohol.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was stubborn too. That just about killed me - literally not figuratively.
You're young - you have a great chance for a fresh start That1Guy

D
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No pills little brother, that's a slippery slope I don't want to see anyone else go down. I traded addictions for years. I'm 37 now and day 16 clean from my Oxy addiction, and it's not a monkey you want on your back. As bad as it's been a detox from a Benzo addiction is way worse. Set your plan not to drink, and find a Doc, support group, Therapist etc to help you. It's awesome to see people so young recognizing their addiction patterns, and stepping up to make things better. Great way to start a morning. Godspeed in your recovery That1guy!